Sunday, January 27, 2013

Open letter to Ill. Lt. Gov.

Dear Lt. Gov. Simon,

I am a resident of Woodstock, Ill., 73 years of age. I am a former police officer, former reserve deputy sheriff, and former candidate for County Sheriff.

I have never been more upset and disappointed in my entire life than I am right now with governments in Washington and Springfield.

No one (except the criminals) wants gun violence. The problem is not with the guns. The problem is with the violence. I own guns because I want them for self-defense and as my Second Amendment right. These are not the same issue. Law-abiding citizens should not be blamed or penalized for the criminal acts of the few.

I request that you argue and fight against the proposed gun bans on assault-type rifles and magazine capacities. I have little concern about self-defense with a handgun with 7-10 rounds. It will not help me if I must fight all "enemies, foreign and domestic". For that, I will need an assault-type rifle with a high-capacity magazine.

I am appalled that Illinois still prohibits concealed carry. The 7th U.S. Court of Appeals has now ordered Illinois to come up with a law by June. I am disappointed that Attorney General Madigan is wasting taxpayer dollars with her appeal. I pray that the legislature comes up with a good law, such as last session's HB0148.

Will you please inform me of your position?

I volunteer to serve as a knowledgeable, law-abiding citizen on any committee you may form on this issue.

Gus Philpott

2 comments:

John Lovaas said...

While your election and blog bio(at least it used to appear on your blog bio) mentioned your tenure as a volunteer reserve deputy, I have never once see any statement that you were a police officer.

Where did you serve as a police officer?

When did you serve as a police officer?

Gus said...

Why do you ask, John?