An additional message from the Illinois State Rifle Association follows. Sen. John J. Cullerton (D-6) is the President of the Illinois Senate. He is probably at least partially responsible for the failure of the House concealed carry bill (HB 0148) to pass on May 5, 2011. No doubt that his muscles were at work then,, along with Mike Madigan, to "persuade" borderline Democrat Representatives to withhold their support.
Want to call Cullerton on Wednesday? Call his Springfield office at (217) 782-2728 and/or his Chicago office at (773) 883-0770. More importantly, call your own elected Illinois Senator and Representative, and Gov. Quinn at 217-782-0244 (Springfield) and/or 312-814-2121 (Chicago).
CULLERTON TO INTRODUCE NEAR TOTAL GUN BAN ON JANUARY 2ND
The ISRA has learned from a credible source that Illinois Senate President John Cullerton will introduce a so called assault weapons ban on Wednesday when the legislature returns for its lame duck session. Cullerton hopes to ramrod the bill through and get it to Governor Quinn for signature by Friday. If he is successful at doing so, nearly every gun you currently own will be banned and will be subject to confiscation by the Illinois State Police.
Based on what we know about Cullertons bill, firearms that would be banned include all semiautomatic rifles, pistols, and shotguns. Pump action shotguns would be banned as well. This would be a very comprehensive ban that would include not only so-called assault weapons but also such classics as M1 Garands and 1911-based pistols. There would be no exemptions and no grandfathering. You would have a very short window to turn in your guns to the State Police to avoid prosecution.
HERE IS WHAT YOU NEED TO DO TO SAVE YOUR GUNS.
1. Beginning Wednesday, call your State Senator and politely tell him or her that you are a law abiding firearm owner and that you strongly oppose Cullertons gun ban. Also, be sure to call your State Representative as well and politely deliver the same message. If you do not know who your State Representative please call the Illinois State Board of Elections at 217-782-4141.
2. Forward this alert to all your gun owning friends and family members. Be sure to tell them to call their senators and representatives as well.
3. Post this alert to any and all Internet bulletin boards and blogs to which you belong.
4. Join or renew your membership in the ISRA. Encourage your friends and family to join as well.
5. Make a generous donation to the ISRA by clicking the link below. We are in desperate need of your financial support to help beat back the onslaught of gun grab bills coming our way in 2013.
Go to www.isra.org for membership information.
Barb Wheeler Tells Why She Supported Pension Bill
25 minutes ago