Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Many burglaries in Marengo and area

The following message came from a friend in the Marengo area. If you are interested in contacting this person for more information, let me know your name and phone number, and I'll pass it along. Email it to gus@woodstockadvocate.com

"To all my friends in Marengo:

"WATCH OUT! BURGLARS...ARMED!!! PLEASE READ:

"I wanted you to know to keep your doors locked even during the day when you're home. Preferably, load your guns and keep them near you. There have been a rash of burglaries ALL OVER Marengo. Apparently, the Northwest Herald doesn't deem this as newsworthy. These guys are armed. It's happening everywhere in Marengo: Locust Street, State Street (near the Avenues), Ridgeview Ln, River Road  in 2 places, (one successful even getting guns out, and one unsuccessful), Kishwaukee Valley Road, Tomlin Street, and according to the McHenry County Sheriff, they also hit really good up on Hawthorne and Koda Ridge, and these are the ones I KNOW of...I can only imagine how many I haven't heard of.

"Yep, Ridgeview, 5 doors down from my house. They're after guns and electronic equipment/computers.

"One of the people on Kish rd. was out mowing his lawn on his rider with his kids and dog in the backyard, he saw a Com Ed truck pulling out of his drive, went in his house and it was cleaned out. It's not a real Com Ed truck. It was a small white S-10 pickup with a sticker on the tailgate that said "Com Ed". Com Ed doesn't have stickers on their tailgates. Also, a friend of mine works with a guy who had a man in a Com Ed white outfit knock on his door and when he answered, the guy looked stunned and asked if "Bruce" was home. When he told him he wasn't, the guy left. He didn't know this was going on or he would have reported it. A day later, a house on his block (on Tomlin) was robbed. HE PROBABLY WOULD HAVE KNOWN THIS IF THE FRIGGIN' NORTHWEST HERALD would have reported it. But of course, not ONE of these burglaries are in the Northwest Herald. Go figure.

"One of my personal friends had her garage door lifted. She's on River Rd just west of Rt. 23. When the police came for the police report they told her she should keep her cell phone on her at all times, even in her pocket when she goes to the bathroom. They also told her that these 3 men will cut phone lines and break in through glass in the back of the locations or come in the front if the door is unlocked. They're opening garage doors with a frequency clicker so lock the doors of your houses between your garage and your house. She also said that they are not afraid of dogs. Dogs are NOT deterring them. The Sheriff was not specific as to how he knew that, but I can only imagine. YIKES.

"My other friend's mom had her house cleaned out and guns stolen out of her house. It was (name deleted)'s mom's house on Route 23 by the Avenues. (Identity deleted)

"I'm passing this on to you in hopes that you will pass this on to your Marengo friends. Call your neighbors and tell them to LOCK their doors!!

"I have heard of 9 robberies so far but I'm sure there were more we are not hearing about, all in the town of Marengo.

"I have contacted the Northwest Herald but they said the news would not come out until two days from now because if the info isn't in by 5:30 p.m., it won't go in until the next day. I  have also faxed ABC and NBC because I think the story inside the story is that the local paper isn't alerting their citizens. They say the police have to confirm the info. Since the police don't want this reported cause it would ruin their "Norman Rockwell town" reputation, this is like the fox guarding the hen house. It's up to us to spread the word. Please do so."

22 comments:

Gus said...

From a reader:

"Thank you for your blog on the burglaries in Marengo. It has been happening in rural Belvidere also. They have been doing the same kind of break-ins but they are stealing jewelry as well for the gold. Also has not been put in the newspaper in our area. Again thank you."

DeeDee said...

Gus, thank you for your blog. My sister was one of these victims. She lives on Woodstock/Kishwaukee Valley Rd. They took all her and her husbands jewlery. They kicked in the side door to her garage and walked right in. We couldn't understand why the newspapers have not published any of these break-ins so people can beware of this problems. I sure hope we can get the word out there. Thanks again

Podunkresident said...

I heard there was a break in across the street from my brother on Dunham Ct and James Ct. Since the house has not been occupied for quite some time and is in the process of being renovated the thieves stole copper pipping and anything else worth any value.

blueyedcountrygirl said...

This is digustingly scary. A few of the places here are right around the corner or down the street from me...who ever it is needs to be caught and this word needs to be spread!!!!

blueyedcountrygirl said...

This is scary considering i live off of dunham ct and this is the first time i have heard of this. I am nervous to even leave the house now for fear of what i might come back to.

Anonymous said...

Thank YOU for sharing! I sure hope to see this in the media SOON! You would think they want the residents to be aware. I'm sharing with everyone I know!

Gus said...

If you return home and find anything amiss as you arrive, call the police or the sheriff's department before you enter your residence.

If you see a ComEd truck, as described above, in your area, get the license plate number and call the police. Let them check it out. Presumably, the police will use caution as they approach the occupants.

Wizard said...

I'm not too worried. I'm always home, and I have guns and I'm not above shooting some prick.

Gus said...

If you do shoot some Person Risking Injury Committing Krime (ugh. sorry; best I could do at 8AM), decide in advance what you will say, and not say, to the cops/deputies when they show up.

"Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law."

About the only thing safe to say is, "I wish to speak with my attorney."

If anyone thinks he is smart enough to talk without his attorney, read "In Spite of the System", by Gary Gauger.

WinkJr said...

Hello!
I live in Marengo, and I was thinking maybe while this keeps happening that they could check local pawn shops and camera's? Someone has to have these bored people somewhere on tape.....I hope everyone stays safe and my heart goes out to everyone who has been a victim. I will pass this one to my friends in Marengo, Belvidere,etc and alert everyone! Don't worry guys, they'll get what's comin' to them.

Gus said...

Here's an update from a Marengo-area resident:

I just got the word from a close friend's friend who spoke with an officer that the robbers are not only driving a white S-10 pickup, but also a Blue pickup and a small red car. In additions, Marengo is not the only town being hit, they are hitting homes in Poplar Grove and Belvidere.

As far as updated Marengo news, we are up to 10 robberies that we know of now, another one on Coral Road, and with incidents in both Poplar Grove and Belvidere, (assuming there's only one in each town,) we are now up to 12 that we are aware of, however, I'm SURE there are many more we don't know about.

The Northwest Herald STILL has not called me back (and I'm sure they won't be happy with my last email message to them) and ABC and NBC also have not contacted me after faxing them. Apparently, our town being ransacked is not deemed newsworthy by the media. Isn't THAT special.

Big D said...

I can't speak for others but if someone kicks in my door and threatens my family it will definitely be the last thing they ever do on this planet. I'd bet the news would be interested in covering a story about an innocent homeowner that shot and killed his would-be assailants, thereby putting an end to this burglary/home invasion streak!

Grumpy Old White Man said...

ITTSS
It's
Time
To
Start
Shooting

galley chef said...

A friend told me about a friend of a friend's parents who experienced a home invasion earlier this summer in Bull Valley. The bell rang, when the door was answered, three men pushed their way in, tied up the elderly couple and robbed them. Thank goodness they were not harmed. This was never mentioned in the newspaper.

I also heard of another home invasion that occurred on Deerpass where the couple was tied up with electrical cord and robbed.

Just this evening I received a text from The Marengo PD via Nixle.com stating, "burgleries in the Marengo area. Visit Nixle.com for details and to report tips"

ScholarBuys said...

"Norman Rockwell town" since when? Ha

SAHM of 3 said...

Today as I came out to my kitchen to see what my dogs were barking at,there was an older model tan Nissan Maxima/Ultima with tinted windows and some sort of red with white lettering square decal on the side of the driver's side door in our driveway turning around and headed out the driveway. I'm off of N. Rt. 23 on
the border of Marengo/Harvard. So in light of all the information about burglaries apparently going on in our area, I ran to the bedroom window and watched as he proceeded up the neighbors driveway and in doing so I called the police and reported a suspicious vehicle and was told the Sheriff's office would investigate. The man had a baseball cap on and a reflective vest same as those ComEd/Nicor would wear. Well, to settle my uneasiness with this, I decided to call ComEd and see if it could be a meter reader. I was informed by ComEd that meter readers can indeed use their own personal vehicle to read meters if it is approved by their supervisor. In the 10 years I have lived here I have NEVER seen a meter reader use his/her own vehicle when coming to read my meter, it's always a white vehicle with the red painted ComEd logo on the side. Furthermore, she instructed me that they could not for sure tell me that my meter was read this afternoon and that the reader was using a personal vehicle or not. If I was in doubt to call the police, and that I told her I had already done. Just thought I would share.

galley chef said...

Driving on 176 today I had to pull over for about 7 police/sheriffs cars with lights flashing - found out later all the commotion was that 3 houses in Blackstone were robbed today!

Thanks for starting this blog topic. We all need to be aware of these robberies and keep our eyes open!

Kristin Ottolino said...

I would like to correct the information in the original email sent out to the residents from me. There were two inaccuracies. I apologize for the mistake. My friend who lives on Locust street said the house was kiddie-corner from her house so I assumed the house was on Locust, it wasn't. It was on Dunham Ct.

Also, The house I thought was on State Street that I said was my friend's mom was NOT on State Street but rather Randall Ct.

The rest of my information was indeed accurate.

Stay safe all!!
Thanks,
Kristin Ottolino

kathiscc said...

We live on Anthony Rd in Marengo (unincorporated). My wallet was taken from the console in my truck while parked in my long driveway very close to the house. My partner's car was also ransacked. The McHenry County Sheriff's Police came out and took a report. And told us the days of leaving stuff in vehicles and leaving doors unlocked had passed. That's all. Have a nice day. Marengo and McHenry County need to coordinate the effort and actually DO SOMETHING! Take some finger prints, at least. WTF????

Horst's Trades said...

Residential Burglary Suspects Arrested in Rock County for the Unicorporated Marengo area Burglaries

MEDIA RELEASE
Residential Burglary Apprehension
September 9, 2011

Sheriff Keith Nygren announced today the apprehension of two Rockford area men suspected in residential burglaries in the unincorporated Marengo area. On Friday, September 2nd in the afternoon hours, the Rock County Sheriff’s Office (WI) stopped a suspicious vehicle that was occupied by James Tarrant and Nicholas Batzler. Further investigation revealed that four residential burglaries were committed in Rock County, and the vehicle contained proceeds from the burglaries including televisions, guns and pillow cases.

Investigators from Boone, Rock, Ogle, Winnebago and McHenry County are investigating residential burglaries that may be connected to these two offenders. Two search warrants were executed on residences and more stolen property was recovered, including proceeds from two residential burglaries in McHenry County. Charges of Residential Burglary and Theft are forthcoming against Tarrant. The investigation continues and additional charges are pending.

Offenders:

Nicholas Batzler, 32
Loves Park, IL

James Tarrant, 43
Rockford, IL

The charges against the above listed defendants are merely allegations against them. The defendants are presumed innocent until proven guilty in court.

Address/Location
McHenry County, IL Sheriff's Office
2200 N Seminary Ave
Woodstock, IL 60098

Gus said...

Thank you for providing the MCSD press release as a comment to this article.

Because the arrests were not made by MCSD, nor with any assistance by MCSD, a better choice of wording by MCSD would have been "Sheriff Keith Nygren announced today that two Rockford area men were arrested by Rock County, Wisconsin, deputies and are suspected in residential burglaries in the unincorporated Marengo area."

princess_mommy77 said...

Around the time all this was happening I had someone break into my home in the middle of the night. I am single mom with 3 boys and my youngest fell asleep on the couch so I left him there. Whoever came in saw him laying there. My boyfriend was at work and my oldest son was awake at the time but thought it was me. I did not realize that someone broke in until the next day when I realized the lock to my door was broke and there were marks left from preying the door open. I did call the police and the took a report since thats all they said they can do. I have since moved to a different part of marengo and after a week of living here our car was attempted to be broke into. Both the doors looked as though they were trying to prey the doors open with crow bar. My older son will not even leave me and his brothers home aone anymore. I just found out tonight that today my sons friend went home and his door was unlocked and every light in the house was on and all the doors including closet doors were open. They NEVER leave the house unocked and NEVEr leave the lights on when they are gone. This also happened a month ago to the same house. It is sad that this is happening and just wanted to share my story. I was appaled that this was not in the news or even felt pushed off when I made the report. All they said was keep your door locked. That I do but that will not stop someone who realy wants to get in.