Friday, January 22, 2010

NIU responds about Nygren degree

On Monday, January 11, I took a shot at NIU for its use of the National Student Clearinghouse (NSC) at www.degreeverify.org to suck $9.50 out of someone's pocket to find out if a person is a graduate. The title of that article was "Rip-off at NIU".

I was interested in confirming Keith Nygren's claim of a degree from NIU.

One reader fired a load of buckshot back and waived FERPA (the federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) in my face, as if an acronym would scare me off. It didn't.

NIU replied to my FOIA request, citing an exemption in FERPA that permits them "...to disclose 'directory information' on a student, so long as that student has not opted for the non-disclosure of his/her 'directory information'."

NIU wrote that Keith Nygren received a Bachelor of Arts degree with a major in Sociology and Anthropology from Northern Illinois University in 1970. His dates of attendance at NIU were from fall 1964 to summer 1970."

It's too bad the woman in the office didn't know about the FERPA exemption and just answer my questions. Thanks, NIU!

No comments: