Sunday, January 17, 2010

Changes at the Woodstock Library

Do you ever reserve a book through the Woodstock Public Library? Receive a notice by email that your item is ready to be picked up? Now you can pick it up without standing in line at the check-out desk. From the Library website comes the following:

Starting Monday January 18th library materials that customers have requested will be placed on open shelves to the right of the Front Desk.

How will I find the book I requested?
Items will be shelved alphabetically using a unique code for each patron. For privacy labels will cover the entire item.

What is my code?
3 – the first three letters of your LAST name
1 – the first letter of your FIRST name
2 – the last two digits of your library card number

How will I know when I something I requested has come in?
Customers will be called or emailed when their item is ready for pickup. Talk to a staff member about adding your email to your library account in order to receive emailed library notices.

How long do I have to pick up my item?
Seven days. After seven days any unclaimed items will go on to the next person on the waiting list. If no one is waiting for the item then it will be re-shelved or returned to the library that we borrowed it from.

How do I check out my item?
You are welcome to check out your own materials using the Self Checkout Station directly behind the Holds Pickup Station or wait in line for a staff person to check you out.

What if someone else checks out my book?
Each item is on hold for a specific customer. Only that customer’s library card can be used to check out the item on the Self Checkout Station.

What if I want to pickup the book someone in my family requested?
If you want to check out an item that is on hold for a family member you will need to bring their library card to the library or request a staff member to assist you.

Why is the library offering this now?
As the library has become more and more busy wait time to check out has increased. This new service allows customers to pickup and check out their own books and other library materials without waiting in line. It also allows for those customers who prefer not to interact with staff to take their library experience to a more independent level.

1 comment:

Ellen said...

Ok, so I work in a much larger library. There is no way we could use this method for our "hold" or "recalled" books. Even though the requester is the only one that can charge out the book, someone else who might want it badly enough might just pick it up and "hide" it on the regular book shelves until they are finished reading it. That happens a lot where I work with periodicals that patrons want easy access to and can't be checked out.