Friday, January 22, 2010

Where does Jack stand on Right-to-Carry?

This afternoon I called the office of Illinois State Representative Jack Franks (D-63rd) to inquire about his position on right-to-carry. It should have been a simple, easy, friendly, non-confrontational call. After all, I am a resident of the 63rd District, and Jack is the elected State representatative from my District.

The phone was answered by a woman who identified herself as Lori, and I identified myself by my full name and asked how she was. When I told her I was calling to ask what Jack's position is on concealed carry, she hesitated and then said she was not going to answer my question. She told me that I knew where he stood and that his position had not changed.

She said she had seen my website and that I knew where he stood.

I was hoping that he had educated himself more on concealed carry since 2005, when I loaned one of legislative aides a book by Professor John Lott, called More Guns, Less Crime. I hoped Jack had learned in the past four years that crime has gone down all over the United States, as the number of states embracing concealed carry has increased.

But she refused to answer even my simplest question, which was, "Is Jack in favor or opposed to concealed carry?"

When I asked her last name, she refused to give it. And she told me not to put her name on my website. She told me that I do not have her permission to put her name on my website so, beyond the name she used when she answered the phone, I shall comply with her request and not use her name.

I'm a pretty polite guy, so I shall not write my opinion of her refusal to provide even the simplest answer about the position of the elected representative on a question of widespread interest to people of McHenry County, of the State of Illinois and of the constituents in his own State District.

How much better it would have been to be friendly and just say that he is still opposed to right-to-carry. The call would have been over, and he might even have retained my vote based on overall representation.

I urge every concerned citizen to call Jack's office in Woodstock at 815/334-0063 and ask, "Is Jack Franks in favor of or opposed to the right of a law-abiding, trained, qualified resident of Illinois to carry a concealed, loaded firearm?" Ask the reasons for his position and what it would take for him to change his mind.

You may wish to call his Springfield office, instead, at 217/782-1717.

Last night Lou Rofrano, organizer of McHenry County Right to Carry Association, told an audience of 500 that politicians need three things: 1. your vote; 2. your money; 3. your active support through letter-writing, making phone calls to stir up the vote, and putting out signs.

Jack's opponent, Republican candidate John O'Neill, will get all three from me. Looking for campaign contact information now.

1 comment:

Another Lawyer said...

If he was polite, you might have still voted for him. Very Funny stuff Gus, very funny stuff.