Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Woof, woof. - OK, you! Paws up!

I had a good laugh this morning before I even got to the comics in the Northwest Herald.

Harvard bad boy Michael T. Spencer, 19, was charged Tuesday for his alleged actions last May, when he apparently impersonated a McHenry County Sheriff's Department deputy when he stopped by a parked car outside of Harvard with a young couple in it. You can read the whole story at www.nwherald.com

The article didn't say what the 16-year-old boy and the 15-year-old girl were doing, but what does a young couple do in a parked car out in the country?

Why did I laugh? Spencer was convicted last month of barking twice at a Harvard police dog that was inside a squad car. That's what the article says. Really!

What "crime" did he commit? Did he alarm the dog? Disturb the dog? Threaten the dog's peace?

Last time I walked by K-9 unit, the dog went crazy. Maybe I should have called Animal Control.

Well, there is probably more to the story.

MCSD Lt. Andy Zinke offered some good advice at the end of the article. "Drivers who are signaled by an unmarked car should drive safely to a well-lit area, preferable in a crowded area." And "People who question the identity of a purposed police officer also can use a cell phone to call the local police department to confirm his or her employment."

Man, I hope all the cops on the road know that...

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Maybe someone should call for the white coats to take you away.....

Gus said...

Grrrr.....

Debra said...

What caight my attention was the article also said that he made the couple take off their clothes. These kids are lucky that they did not end up dead by this apparent wacko! This one has major issues and needs to be kept locked away BEFORE he does something worse then say he is an officer or harrass a K9!

Gus said...

What surprises (and shocks) me is that the guy wasn't caught sooner. I don't recall whether this was reported in the news last summer.

Anyone remember?

Debra said...

I do remember a small blurb in the NWH. Great fodder for the comments posters if I recall correctly.