Friday, February 26, 2010

Slow mail - anyone else?

I'm always glad to get a check in the mail, even when it has to be forwarded. At the end of November I closed my P.O. Box after deciding that it had to be the highest-priced, rental real estate in Woodstock. I was told there would be an initial delay in receiving forwarded mail, but after that delivery should be prompt.

I mean, the P.O. ought to pay me for having a box! The mail carrier is always inside; only has to walk about ten feet; no slip-and-fall on the ice; no vehicle to wear out; no gas, tires, oil changes, wrecks; no towing. Plus I have to gas up the buggy to go to the Post Office to pick up my mail!

Today I received a check (a small one, so don't everyone rush to my doorstep) that was printed on December 14 and mailed on December 17 - all the way from Crystal Lake. It was mailed to my P.O. Box in Woodstock, where it should have been received on December 18 and then sent to the forwarding section in Palatine, where they would put a forwarding label on it and send it out for delivery.

The date on the forwarding label? February 25! Not bad. Two months!

Also delivered today was a piece of mail postmarked February 24 and mailed in Woodstock. The forwarding label for that one was dated February 24 - the same day.

Has anyone else noticed a problem with forwarded mail?

No comments: