Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Job Fair hits a bulls-eye


Today's Job Fair at the Church of the Holy Apostles in McHenry was a success, if measured by the number of "tables" and the number of job hunters. It was organized by John O'Neill, Republican candidate for the Illinois House of Representatives - 63rd District, but John said this morning that getting a job doesn't belong to one party or another.

Pictured at the top right are John O'Neill, with his wife, Barbara, and their youngest child, Jeremiah.


Upon first arriving, I was greeted by Joyce (sorry I didn't get her last name). She pointed out John to me, who was back at the AFLAC table. There I met Angela Schiek, District Sales Coordinator for AFLAC. Interested in exploring affilation with AFLAC? Call her at 312.661.1222 x5711. Oh, yes; the AFLAC duck was there, too.



Then I headed over to the Tupperware table and met Bridget Fagan. Bridget is a recent gradulate of NIU and loves being a Tupperware rep. I had to love her mother's business card, which says about Tupperware, "We've been GREEN for 60 YEARS!" For information on the business opportunity with Tupperware or to purchase Tupperware products, call Bridget at 847.540.5959



And then off to the Tastefully Simple booth, where Mary Lebrecht told me about their food selection. Sounds like even I could cook with help from Tastefully Simple. Mary didn't have cooked samples today, but my mouth began to water just from looking at their brochure! For food or information about the business opportunity, call Mary at 815.451.7730

I'm often asked what it takes to be successful in a home-based business, such as Tupperware or Tastefully Simple. It takes belief in your product, a desire to help others, discipline and persistence.

There were many other business opportunities represented at this Job Fair. As so many know, there aren't many "jobs" available. If truth be told, most people don't really want a j-o-b; they want a check. The business opportunity, such as with Tupperware or Tastefully Simple, is worth exploring. Don't be put off by the self-employed nature of it or the fact that it might be called (or thought of as) multi-level marketing (MLM).

I recommend reading Robert Kiyosaki's book, The Business School for People Who Like Helping People. He has written excellent information about MLM. I met Robert in Denver in about 1984 and treasure a personal note he sent me after we met. Robert is known for the Rich Dad, Poor Dad series. And, while you are at it, read Zig Ziglar's See You at the Top. I met Zig at a National Speakers' Association banquet in Washington, DC in about 1994.

4 comments:

Gus said...

I want to clear any misconception that the job fair was just about home-based businesses. Other businesses there were Imagetec from Woodstock, Monarch Senior Care, Ron Johnston Inc. (Educational Software Developer in Volo), Chiro-One, Financial Dynamics from Ringwood, and The Agency Staffing.

The fair went very well - over 100 jobseekers, many of whom can probably look forward to job offers.

Philip said...

I was going to say, Gus, that this did have the appearance of a home-based business expo. Out of curiousity, was Amway there?

Gus said...

I didn't see an Amway booth, but there was a Shaklee booth. And Pre-Paid Legal was represented.

It's unfortunate, in my opinion, that so many fail to give serious consideration to the valid business model of multi-level marketing. Pre-conceived notions get in the way; "mystery" invitations cause people to be suspect.

When "jobs" are disappearing like geese in November, why won't more people look carefully to determine whether there really might be an "opportunity" right in front of them?

Bounty Hunter said...

I think this 'candidate' has done a marvelous job. I hope he does well!

It just goes to prove Gus; "Build it and they shall come!"

Brilliant job by John O'Neill.