Wednesday, February 24, 2010

NWH printing off to Schaumburg

For those who don't read the Northwest Herald, it probably won't matter at all that the Northwest Herald printing is leaving Crystal Lake and being "out-sourced" to Schaumburg.

The NWH has been getting smaller, at least on Mondays. But print quality will improve; so says the article in this morning's paper. Maybe they'll make the type in the comics a little larger and a little darker. Then I can put away my magnifying glass.

This "important" story got 24 column-inches of "real estate" today. I mean, who cares where it is printed, as long as it is on my doorstep when I open the front door. I'll tell you who cares; the stockholders care. Oh, yes; the employees in the printing plant care, too.

Twenty-five full-time and six part-time employees care. I know one of them.

"Paddock has agreed to interview those Shaw employees affected by the printing transition." Oh, isn't that nice? Big deal; that doesn't cost Paddock anything but a little HR time. Maybe a few will be hired; maybe not. It's probably a pretty good bet that few, if any, of them live between Crystal Lake and Schaumburg.

A sign of the times...

No comments: