Saturday, March 5, 2011

Crime Stoppers - how much in bank?

If you lived in Rockford, you would feel well protected by the Crime Stoppers group there. At least, you would if your feelings were measured by the amount of moolah in the bank.

Would you believe that Rockford Area Crime Stoppers Program, Inc. is sitting on $1,200,000? That's ONE MILLION TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS.

That got me thinking a little further about our local Crime Stoppers organizations here in McHenry County, of which there are several. You may have thought there was just one. Wrong! There are eight.

Records of the McHenry County Circuit Clerk (as distinguished from the McHenry County Clerk) reveal that eight Crime Stoppers organizations have received money from the Circuit Clerk (court) during the past four years. One of the organization, the McHenry Area Crime Stoppers (City of McHenry), has ceased operations and no longer receives funds from the Court system.

Totals for three full years and one-fourth of the current fiscal year, through 2/28/11, paid to Crime Stoppers groups operating in McHenry County are as follows:

Cary $579.70
McHenry County $50,955.32
Crystal Lake $6,200.00
Fox River Grove $450.00
Harvard $1,992.00
Marengo $1,740.00
McHenry Area (defunct) $3,589.40
Woodstock $2,349.00

Trying to learn about other income (donations, contributions, sales) and expenditures of two groups, the Crime Stoppers for McHenry County and Woodstock Area Crime Stoppers, is like pulling teeth. Well, actually, it's not like "pulling teeth" because, with teeth, you know where they are.

Last summer I started inquiring about Crime Stoppers of McHenry County. After getting stone-walled at the McHenry County Sheriff's Department, I finally pried a P.O. Box out of the liaison deputy. I wrote to the P.O. Box and a month later received a reply from Helen Torscher, who identified herself as Secretary of the group. Not secretary; Secretary, which is an "official", elected position within the organization. Since she didn't answer my questions, I wrote back.

That was on October 18, 2011. Ms. Torscher surely must be busy because, as of yesterday, March 4, 2011, I still haven't heard from her. I did hear that she is now President of the Crime Stoppers for McHenry County, following election of officers late last year.

Congratulation, Mrs. Torscher. Now will you please reply to that letter and also to my email, asking whether Crime Stoppers for McHenry County is a tax-exempt, 501(c)(3) (or other 501(c)) organization?

I was asked this week by a 25-year member of Crime Stoppers for McHenry County why I am picking on them.

Why? That's an easy one. Because they have sucked up $50,000 from the Circuit Court over the past 3 1/4 years. And they only spent $3,400 in tips in 2009.

I was told they are a fine organization and that I should leave them alone; Fine, answer some reasonable questions and I'll leave you alone. But the longer you hide, the more inquisitive I get.

Certainly, they ought to be able to answer a simple question about whether they are an IRS tax-exempt organization; right? CrimeStoppers USA believes they are. Why would it believe such a status? Because it must have been told that they are a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization. Or else CrimeStoppers USA confused them with McHenry Area Crime Stoppers, which is (was?) a 501(c)(3) organization.

If Crime Stoppers for McHenry County is a tax-exempt organization (which would mean that your donations are tax-deductible), then they need to straighten something out with IRS, because IRS doesn't identify them as a tax-exempt organization.

How much money is Crime Stoppers of McHenry County sitting on? What are they spending their money on? They certainly aren't spending it on anonymous tips. If they don't have anything to hide, why are they hiding?

I call it "hiding" when 1) you won't identify your officers; 2) you don't answer letters; 3) you don't reply to email; 4) you don't reveal where and when your meetings are; and 5) you receive public funds (court fees) and won't open your books.

4 comments:

Kristin Ottolino said...

Gus,

I've seen the officers posted in the newspaper. I know, I was one. At least the Marengo Crimestoppers Unit did that. I don't understand why they don't answer letters or emails. The meetings for the one in Marengo are held 4 times/year usually at the presidents home. Not sure where the meetings are held in McHenry county one.

We used to receive court fees and begged the states attorney to please start sending them again but last I knew (about 2 years ago), they stopped sending them at least to the Marengo unit and before that, when they did, the funds were REALLY REALLY scarce. I'm sure it works the same at the McHenry county Crimestoppers unit.

The books are no secret. But I think you're chasing ghosts because what they receive (if anything) barely covered the costs of advertising, at least in Marengo. It was truly a fight to get them to help us. I doubt if it's any better in the McHenry unit.

Again, the Crimestoppers unit has nothing to do with the police department except for to ask for help from them when a tip is called in. That's it. There is no connection to the police department other than that. Once and only once, the Marengo police department shared a booth with us at the expo. That was it. Occasionally, we would have an officer show up to represent the PD at our meetings but it was RARE.

I personally think the PD thinks of Crimestoppers as more of a headache than anything.


Just my opinion.

Kristin Ottolino said...

oh, one more thing, I don't know how in the world McHenry would have gotten $50,000 in court fees. Last time I was at a meeting in the Marengo unit, we were lucky to have recieved about $400 total for the year. (that's not an exact figure..I'm basing that off my horrible memory) but it REALLY badly was not what people are lead to believe. They say we were to receive the funds but we never did except once in a blue moon. Just wanted you to know.

I'm not sticking up for them, I just wanted you to know the inside scoop.

Kristin Ottolino said...

I found two numbers for you: This one is the McHenry Area Crimestoppers in McHenry:
(800) 762 7867
Then, here is the McHenry County Crimestoppers Coalition out of Woodstock:
(800) 762 7867

I would suggest just calling and asking to speak to the president of the organization to have your questions answered. There are no secrets (unless a tip comes in and there's an investigation), but as far as the organization itself, all of it should be available to the public if asked. I don't see why not.

Good luck but again, I think this is a good organization and thank goodness for them. A lot of people don't want to give their name when a crime happens and Crimestoppers is there to accept tips on crime and payout anonymously. I'm personally glad there is such an organization and I was glad to be a part of it while I could. A lot of people are afraid to report crime and give their names for the obvious reasons. Crimestoppers gives them an outlet to help get the "bad guys" off the street.

I can only imagine that if McHenry County Crimestoppers had $50,000 for real, they've easily spent it on advertising. You wouldn't believe what THAT costs for things such as signs for the streets, signs for windows in local businesses, ads in the paper, and literature to be passed out to the public. Then, if they do an expo, holy cow, can that eat up the funds like crazy, especially if they do things like we did. We paid to have childrens DNA/fingerprint kits for parent's storage (it was a REALLY nice thing) for one expo. If my memory serves me correctly, it cost upwards of $500 just for that and that was Marengo where we didn't need that many. Not like they'd need for McHenry county.

Ok, I'm done rambling.

Gus said...

The McHenry Area Crime Stoppers is out of business. It should not be confused with the Crime Stoppers for McHenry County, which is sometimes incorrectly referred to as the Coalition.

Glad to hear that it should be possible to just call up the President of Crime Stoppers and ask questions.

The President of the Crime Stoppers for McHenry County, Helen Torscher, refuses to answer letters or emails.

The Woodstock Area Crime Stoppers is playing hide-and-seek, too.