Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Woodstock crime reports - no crime?

I'm so glad I live in Woodstock. It has to be the lowest-crime part of McHenry County.

Just this morning I read the Police Reports in the Northwest Herald. Yep, today is March 23, 2011, just like it says on my calendar.

There were only four items in the Crime Reports for Woodstock, and they were for incidents that occurred December 11 and 15 and January 12 (2).

Something smells here. Either (1) Woodstock had no crimes. Or (2) Woodstock PD didn't release the information to the Northwest Herald. Or (3) the Northwest Herald didn't print what it got from the Woodstock PD.

Personally, I'm going with (3). The Woodstock PD is mandated to release arrest information within 72 hours.

Several years ago I was interested in setting up a website to report crime in Woodstock as soon as the information was available from the Woodstock PD. The City, through the City Attorney, informed me that my site would not be considered "media", and they refused to routinely provide crime information to me. I was told that I could file a FOIA request every day, if I wished to receive the information.

A "blog" is not media, according to the city. Apparently, a "blog" is not "electronic media", either. The City's denial was based on the attorney's advice that the word "blog" does not appear in the statutes, although "electronic media" does.

And so a Woodstock resident might believe his city is safe and leave the doors unlocked, the garage door open and the keys in the ignition.

We in Woodstock fortunately don't live in a "war zone", but we need to be vigilant. Be smart; don't be stupid.

But, if crime were more fully reported, as it is in other communities, residents might be better reminded to be smart about their residences, property and personal safety.

1 comment:

Debra said...

Crime may be reported in other cities more quickly than Woodstock but the NWH seems to be 2 to 3 months behind in publishing it. Look at the dates of any of the Police Reports to verify this. Why is this? Anyone know??