Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Decisions, decisions....

Someone asked me once if I had trouble making decisions. I said, "Well, yes and no."

What's up for tonight? How can I be in two places at once?

Tonight is the Public Hearing on the Dorr Township Budget. I wonder how many will show up for that. Get the details at www.dorrtownship.com/ 7:00PM at the Township office, 140 Newell St., Woodstock. The Township budget hearing will be followed by the Public Hearing for the Dorr Township Road District budget; same location.

And tonight is the McHenry County Board meeting at 7:00PM. Has Special Prosecutor Tonigan submitted a bill for six months (September, October, November and December 2010, and January and February 2011) of legal work to Judge Graham and has that bill now reached the Board?

How much will the six-months' bill be? $200,000? That'll be on top of the $213,000 already approved. Remember the $100,000 limit the Board first set? And the trial hasn't even started yet. And then there will be a second trial. Hello? $1,000,000? (if we're lucky).

And then the County will get nailed for the defense expenses.

There is a standing item on the Agenda for Executive Session. Apparently, a public body does not have to identify on its advance agenda what item might be considered (huge defect in the law or interpretation thereof), although it must identify the 2(c) exemption(s) at the time a motion is made to enter Executive Session.

The big item missing from the agenda is Action on Item in the Executive Session. Without that item on the Agenda, can the Board legally take action, such as to pay that legal bill?

Interestingly enough, no one has gotten back to me about the procedure to be followed in the event Sheriff Nygren retires or resigns. Does anyone in government know? Doesn't anyone know? Since no one has answered my questions, I've called County Clerk Kathie Schultz for the information. When she returns my call, which I'm sure she will do this week, I'll share the information with you.

Does the County Board appoint a successor (from the Republican Party) to serve the unexpired term (now three months short of four years)? Do they appoint a search or nominating committee? Or does Chairman Koehler just pick the guy? Is there a short list already? Or must there be a special election, because so much of the term remains?

1 comment:

M.U.G. said...

I guess I can assume my real estate taxes will not be going down any to soon.