Tuesday, March 8, 2011

New Dorr Township building on the way

The main attraction at this month's meeting was the trustees vote to make a deal on a new township headquarters. The three trustees present and the Supervisor voted to buy the larger part of the condominium office building at 747 South Eastwood Drive in Woodstock.

The smaller "half" of the building houses Vogue Cleaners at the north end. The southern "half" of the building was in foreclosure. Folks visiting the township offices will be able to stretch their arms in the 4,289 sq. ft. space. The property was appraised at $540,000 last year and assessed at $539,000+. The purchase price will be $292,500, if the deal goes through.

The township has a 45-day period for its due diligence. During that time inspections will be made of the building, roof, HVAC, exterior and parking and driveway. Remodeling estimates will be prepared, and the trustees and Supervisor will then make a decision to buy or not.

I know my tired old ears have been listening (well, hearing...) for many years, but I'd swear that I heard several times tonight that the building's HIV system was going to be checked. If that's the case, I'm not going anywhere near the new building. Somebody tell me I was wrong.

Thanks to Senate Bill 3010 last year, townships can buy property without a vote of the electors (residents), if they have the money. Dorr Township has been saving up for this rainy day and has the money, collected through over-payments in past years in anticipation of unknown future needs.

There were references early in the meeting to acquisition of "about 75%" of the (whole) building. As a "condominium" building, there are two owners. When a diagram was shown to the audience, I thought it looked like the township would be buying about 60% of the square footage. Just a guess.

Then the "numbers" were mentioned for the Vogue Cleaners space, and I calculated that the township will be buying 63% of the building.
4,289 sq. ft Portion for sale (63%)
2,533 sq. ft.Vogue Cleaners (37%)
6,822 sq. ft total

Many good questions were asked by the trustees and the audience. Although an Executive Session was on the agenda, Supervisor Bob Pierce asked the trustees if they would discuss the purchase in open session, and they did. This is what the electors who have been attending monthly meetings have wanted. And it worked out well for all.

The trustees and the Supervisor were acknowledged and thanked for their decision to handle tonight's business this way, and I myself thank them again.

1 comment:

Gus said...

A careful reader of my blog took me to task for my above comment on HIV with the following direct message:

"I know you often use humor and sarcasm in your posts, but I have to take you to task on your "HIV system" comment. Being the guy that stands up for those who cant help themselves...their "advocate"...really makes the HIV comment that much more disturbing. I know it can make for a for a good laugh, but at who's expense? Doesn't it just serve to continue a negative stereotype about the disease? To treat those with HIV as lepers were treated 2000 years ago? I
have to say I was disappointed by this one Gus."

I appreciate all comments like this, because they cause me to review what I have written.

I intended no disrespect to anyone with this medical condition. I've worked with HIV clients. some who were approaching the end of life. I thank that reader for his message.