Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Woodstock blogger receives subpoena

Many readers are familiar with the civil rights case by Zane Seipler against employees of the McHenry County Sheriff's Department. The case has been meandering through the U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, Western Division, in Rockford for more than two years.

And the case has finally sucked me into it.

On Monday I received a subpoena from the law firm of the Defendants, requesting a massive amount of information. Who are these Defendants?
Capt. Anton Cundiff
Lt. John Miller #1431
Lt. William Lutz
Sgt. Popovits
Kathleen Sieth (sic)
Keith Nygren, individually and in his official capacity as Sheriff OF (sic) McHenry County
Sheriff of McHenry County
County of McHenry

The law firm for the Sheriff and his employees is James G. Sotos & Associates, Ltd. You know? I'll probably like Jim Sotos, if I ever meet him. His middle name is Gus!

So this subpoena has a demand date of tomorrow, March 10, 2011, three days after I received the subpoena. I read the fine print on Page 2, and this morning I enjoyed a leisurely drive to Rockford to file a Motion to quash the subpoena for the reason that it failed to allow reasonable time for compliance.

What does Mr. Sotos wonder if I have?

"Any and all correspondence or documents exchanged between you and any website, blog, or email account you maintain, including http://www.woodstockadvocate.blogspot.com/, and Zane Seipler, any former and/or current employee of the McHenry County Sheriff's Office, individuals with the screen names: Shadow Deputy, In The Know, Vastare, or Cal Skinner, from November 2008 through February 2011, including, but not limited to: any and all incoming and outgoing electronic mail communications, attachments thereto, electronic correspondence, downloaded information, and/or website printouts."

I wonder what could be the reason for such a request. Any ideas, anyone?

It was really a nice day for a drive, in spite of fog on the return trip. I enjoyed seeing Rockford and the Rock River again, and parking at the courthouse was convenient. Free, too; I found a place right on the street. If you do go to Rockford, watch the open parking spaces - they might require a permit.

Of course, that made me wonder how a City can give City property to a resident for his own parking....  Guess it's good that I don't live in Rockford.

5 comments:

But Seriously said...

I suspect they will make use of this info to suboena the internet providers for IP address date to track who made specific statements. Should be interesting to see if some who claim to be law enforcement actually are. Always struck me that they were either violating rules by some of what they posted online or were falsely identifying themselves as law enforcement. I guess we will soon know.

But Seriously said...

I've unfortunately been involved in this type of litigation in the past, where a lawsuit was filed to track my identity. It causes me to be very careful in the words I actually type but has not dettered my passion for voicing my opinion. What some will struggle with in this situation is that they tend to write their opinion as fact when it is only an opinion. It is a clear line between opinion and stating something as fact that is unsubstantiated. Unfortunately I believe some local commenters may soon find out that expensive lesson.

Zane said...

Hold on to AZ Supporter, But Seriously, Justin and all the other obvious deputies, Gus. It goes both ways. I am confident that a lot more of the information the commentors that the subpoena asks for can be "substantiated" than the above mentioned deputies. As a matter of fact I am positive.

Justin said...

The sharks are starting to circle. Most of what is written here is totally BS and readers know it. People (including myself) write things to elicit a response from Gus and some of the other Nygren and MCSO haters that haunt this blog. I have even written a taunt or two projecting the view of the dark side thereby getting the “ME TOO’s” to chime in while sitting back laughing at the idiocy of their their ramblings.

But Seriously said...

Well Zane...In my case I can assure you that your guess wrong. I am not a Deputy, do not work in Law Enforcement, don't work for the County, have never met you...Simply an interested taxpayer.