Sunday, March 13, 2011

Any race for Woodstock city council?

Is there a race for Woodstock City Council? I see signs out for Mark Saladin and I see a sign in the window of Mark Indyke's local business, but that's it.

Am I just not getting out enough?

April 5th isn't that far away. I'm not seeing anything in newspapers or getting email about the race. Is there a race?

How does one even find out who is running? Ah, yes; just check out the Sample Ballot for your voting precinct. Now, how does one do that? First, go to the McHenry County website at http://co.mchenry.il.us/ and search for "sample ballot". That ought to do it.

Hmmm, then what? Don't scan the selection links too quickly, as I did. It took three looks to spot "Sample Ballots" under Frequently Used Election Information, then Election Precinct Finder / Sample Ballots.

There are six candidates for three seats. The names, in order of appearance on the ballot, are
Maureen Larson
Joseph J. Starzynski
Julie Dillon
Mark Indyke
Derek J. Lee
Mark S. Saladin

While you can "Vote for three", you don't have to. Voting for someone you don't necessary want, just because his or her name is on the ballot, might mean that the person you do want will not win.

Print your sample ballot now. Study the names. Make some calls. Send some emails. Find out where candidates stand on issues that are important to you.

What if the Woodstock City Council faced a request to adopt a Resolution like this: "Be it resolved that We the City Council and Mayor will never, by use of force or any other means, confiscate firearms lawfully possessed by the citizens of my community." (And after the City Council resolves that, the next step is to get the affirmative buy-in from the City Manager and the Police Chief.)

Would you want your choice of candidate to stand tall and declare that he (or she) absolutely pledges that?

4 comments:

Sam said...

Election signs are going up all over town. Mark S. Saladin
signs look like recycled Nygren signs.

BTW GUS..when are you going to remove the rest of your campaign signs?

Gus said...

I haven't seen the new state law about campaign signs yet, but someone told me that, if you will run in a future election, you can leave your signs up. Maybe I'll run in 2016 or 2020.

However, being the nice guy that I am, I would consider taking any campaign sign down, if I knew where it was. I have removed all of the signs that I put up. Where do you believe a sign is located?

Dudley DoRight said...

There is one on Rte 14 on the s/bnd side by the South Street overpass. I forget if it is north or south of the bridge. Mounted on a utility pole.

Gus said...

Justin, thanks. If I can reach it, I'll take it down this week.