Wednesday, October 13, 2010

IRS goes green

The small mailer from IRS almost went into the trash unopened. Had I been efficient with my mail on day I received it, it would already have gone to the landfill, unread. But I had put it in the stack of mail to be tossed, and I just happened to open it on the way to the waste basket.

You know that "friendly" package from IRS that often arrives just before Christmas? The one with the tax forms and the pages and pages of instructions that I suspect few really read? Yep! That one!

Well, don't look for it this December. Or in January, either. IRS would like you to think that, because so many taxpayers are filing electronically, it no longer needs to publish and mail it. I suspect otherwise. My guess is that IRS is only trying to cut costs (not a bad idea, in itself), and it is attempting to force taxpayers to file electronically.

Me? I like filing on paper. It's faster, cleaner, less frustrating, and I have a complete copy of my tax return.

Maybe it's because I still buy refills for my Franklin Planner every year and don't use an electronic calendar.

You'll still be able to submit a paper tax return. Just print your own tax forms at www.irs.gov or hope that your local library will still participate in the federal tax products program.

No comments: