Wednesday, October 6, 2010

"NO" to pay freeze

This morning's Northwest Herald carried the headline "County salaries may face freeze."

I am strongly against a pay freeze, especially for elected officials and senior administrators who are raking in the big bucks.

Why is no one talking about the depression this country is in? People are losing their jobs and not finding new ones. They are losing their homes at a record pace.

But did your County property tax bill go down?

What will I do, if you elect me Sheriff of McHenry County on November 2. I shall take a pay CUT , starting with my very first paycheck. And it will be a 20% cut!

I don't know the mechanism for refusing what I think might be a statutory pay rate. I don't know if the State sets a sheriff's pay or if the County Board does. It doesn't matter. You might get to accuse me of making a kickback to McHenry County.

And I shall urge all elected officials to do the same. A pay freeze isn't good enough in hard times. I shall urge fellow elected County officials to reveal their salaries and the cost of all the perks they receive.

I'll re-assign that white Chevy Tahoe with the heated leather seats or sell it. No County squad car will be assigned to me. If I need transportation during the day to a meeting, I'll use a County pool vehicle or drive my own car. If I drive my own car, I shall not ask for a mileage reimbursement.

And, if the retirement plan scheme provides for a monthly retirement check after one term in office, I most likely will refuse that. And it's not because I'm independently wealthy, either; I'm not. I believe that a person who serves one term in office should not receive "retirement" pay.

And health insurance? No worry there. Medicare pays my bills.

And vacation? I shall take only reasonable vacation time, and my work schedule will be available for anyone to inspect. In fact, I'll probably set up a public online calendar.

The gravy train for the elected sheriff is over!

6 comments:

Dave Labuz said...

Were I you Gus, I would, and have been in the postion to, to do EXACTLY the same!

You go!

Unknown said...

Sorry about that, clicked the wrong link. Here it is posted under the proper post.

In response to your comment on this... You WERE referring to the elected officials'/sheriff's pension and what I said holds true. They are all covered under the IMRF. You don't get a choice. It is what it is. No double dipping either. You retire under IMRF, you can only work something like 600 hrs per year for any IMRF employer. If you exceed that, your pension goes "bye bye"

Before you start giving away "frivolous" retirement benefits, you might want to know that county employees are covered under the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund. It takes them eight (8) years to become vested in a program that they pay into (in addition to social security) that provides a small benefit at that point. For most county employees they must work 20-30 years and reach age 65 to collect a full pension. Sheriff's employees, also covered under a different option, can retire at age 50 with 50% of their salary but they pay in at a much higher rate than standard IMRF. If they retire with LESS than 20 years, they get the standard IMRF benefit which means a smaller percentage paid out at a much old age. And, no, you don't have an option to refuse to contribute nor can you choose which program you wish to participate in. Not that you will ever have the chance to try.

Gus said...

Never say "Never".

Notawannabee said...

Elected officials are not required to participate in IMRF. They can choose not to because they wrote themselves an OUT , "FANCY THAT" Elected officials writing a exemption for themselves, tell me it ain’t true.

Elected officials that are RETIRED under IMRF programs are exempted from the IMRF rule that prohibits them from working more than 600 hrs for an IMRF entity. If ELECTED they can opt out.

The vesting period is being changed to 10 years for new hires and benefits decreased for persons hired AFTER January 1.

Current regular IMRF employee must work 40 years and be 55 to receive the max pension of 75%. (Yea start work at age 15) Unless they have the 35 years service, for each month less than age 60, ( 0.25) 1/4% is deducted or yearly 3% per year. AS of January 2011 that changes. The minimum retirement age increased to 62 and if you have less than 35 years for each month less than 62 you lose (0.50) 1/2% or 6% per year

Justin said...

I think your wrong. Look at all the court bailiffs that are all retired buddies of Nygren. They work more than 600 hrs and get a nice salary. What does Parth make? 80 or 90 grand a year?

Notawannabee said...

Just, which way do you want it? You seem to contradict yourself. Nope I'm right and your first post seems to say that, then your second post says they can. Are you confused?