Monday, October 11, 2010

NWH deceives readers with Nygren endorsement

I'm glad it was late Sunday night that I got around to reading the Northwest Herald. Its endorsement of Nygren is no surprise.

What was a surprise was its new low in editorial writing when it said about me, "Philpott, of Woodstock, is a blogger, a hypnotherapist and an insurance salesman with no significant law enforcement experience."

I posted the following comment to its lead article on Sunday and to the editorial board's endorsement of Nygren:

"The NWH's support of Nygren was not unexpected. That it stooped to a new low in its comment about me is inexcusable. I haven't been an insurance salesman since 1986; that's 24 years. No significant LE experience? Almost a year as a police officer in Iowa. Almost 8 years as a reserve deputy sheriff in Colorado, working 20-24 hours/week without pay; providing my own uniform and weapon; providing my own police-equipped motorcycle. Full police authority 24/7, including concealed weapons permit. Not significant? CITIZEN FIRST, COP SECOND. I understand the "cop mentality" but don't have it."

Up until that editorial comment I was willing to subscribe to the print edition of the Northwest Herald, in spite of shrinking size of the paper. That ends when I call the Subscription Department on Monday.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Please explain what exactly is a "cop mentality". Thanks

Gus said...

Bob, thanks for asking. The "cop mentality" is the attitude that cops are "better" than non-cop citizens; that cops do not have to obey laws; that cops can break laws with impunity, knowing that if, for example, they are stopped for a traffic violation, all they have to do is "badge" the officer and they will get a written warning or a verbal warning or no warning at all.

That cops can bully citizens (or non-citizens) and get away with it.

Or as one deputy told a person a while back, "I'm a cop. You must be crazy to argue with me." And, with that, the deputy took the person into custody and transported that person to a hospital for a mental health evaluation.

Did this happen in McHenry County? It's just one more lawsuit against the sheriff and the department!

JOHN said...

AS FAR AS THE HERALD IS CONCERNED IT SHOULD BE NO SURPRISE TO ANYONE THAT THEY ENDORSE THE REPUBLICAN CANDIDATE. THAT'S WHAT THEY DO. AS FAR AS THEM INSULTING YOU, THEY CALLED IT LIKE THEY SEE IT. YOUR INEXPERIENCE IN LAW ENFORCEMENT MAKES YOU BLIND TO WHAT THE REAL JOB IS. THIS ISN'T A GAME GUS. IT TAKES REAL SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE TO BE A POLICE OFFICER AND ADMINISTRATOR. MANAGING A POLICE FORCE AS LARGE AS MCSO ISN'T FOR A BEGINNER. IF YOU WERE THE HONEST FORTH RIGHT PERSON YOU CLAIM TO BE YOU WOULD ADMIT IT.

yagottabekidding said...

I believe you've confused 'cop mentality' with bully mentality. I believe a cop mentality lets an officer deal effectively with legal and humanitarian concerns in a professional manner. You probably have neither.

You could always sue the Herald if they published anything that wasn't true.

Gus said...

The bully mentality is a component of the "cop mentality." I have not confused the two.

I believe you know exactly what I mean, and I wonder to what extent you follow the "cop mentality" in your work.

yagottabekidding said...

I do consider baiting and wild, speculative accusations to be tactics of a bully as well.