Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Seipler v. Nygren case - moving along


Zane Seipler's request for a special prosecutor to be appointed to investigate illegal politicking continues to move through the court system in McHenry County. Seipler has complained about Regna campaign photographs being taken with incumbent Sheriff Keith Nygren in Nygren's office and the use of the official emblem (badge) of office, or its likeness, on Nygren campaign stationery and envelopes.

Four years ago (long before I entertained the possibility of running for office myself) I complained about the use of the sheriff's badge of office on campaign stationery. I have forgotten whether I complained to the SAO or to the McHenry County Elections Board, but I do recall that my complaint went nowhere.

I had received campaign literature in what looked to me like an official envelope. From time to time I received summons to appear in traffic court cases as a witness, and that's what I thought the envelope contained. Surprise, surprise...

In Case No. 10MR11 Zane Seipler is now represented by Chicago attorney Blake Horwitz. Sheriff Keith Nygren is represented by his county legal defense team through the Office of the McHenry County State's Attorney.

This ought to be "interesting", since Nygren's right-hand man, Undersheriff Andy Zinke, started taking pot shots at State's Attorney Lou Bianchi recently.

Earlier this year Judge Caldwell recused himself, and another judge was to get this case. That judge's name doesn't appear yet in the online records available at http://www.mchenrycircuitclerk.org/

Legal footwork in court yesterday resulted in the setting of the next court date for August 18, 2010, at 10:00AM in Courtroom 201.

No comments: