Saturday, March 27, 2010

Immigration Woes

In our country, where we are free to travel without "papers" or documentation or permission or visas, few probably understand the difficulties that a legal visitor to our country will face if his immigration status gets out of order, at which point he becomes an illegal visitor.

I traveled in Mexico in 1992 and got just a quick taste myself, when a young Federali at a rest stop did not understand the date on my bus ticket. His machine gun and he were between me and the door to the bus, and it was really clear that I should not attempt to pass him. I spoke no Spanish. No one on the bus or on the ground spoke English. If a passenger hadn't come to my rescue, I might still be in a small town in eastern Mexico, instead of here in Woodstock.

A young African student went "out of status", when he did not re-enroll in a Chicago-area community college in January. He had mis-managed his money for college and could not re-enroll. His landlord urged the College to contact his parents, but they never did. Then they reported him to I.C.E., as laws required them to do. And very quickly I.C.E. scooped him up.

He was delivered to the McHenry County Jail, and early on March 16th he was able to phone his landlord. When she did an internet search for information about the McHenry County Jail, she found the Woodstock Advocate and emailed me.

I happened to be up at 3:00AM, read her email and quickly replied. Since then I have visited him twice, found an attorney for him, for a second attorney for him, communicated with his aunt and the College and basically facilitated steps that will lead to his bonding out, getting his student visa reinstated and getting back in college.

If you know any international students, be-friend them and make sure that they understand the conditions of their status as students. They must be aware of every condition and of the importance of remaining in compliance with their status.

Was this young man "low-hanging fruit"? He was easy to pick up; they knew right where he was.

For me, it raised the question of why I.C.E. isn't picking up the tens of thousands of others who are in this county illegally.

This young man will ultimately spend four-eight weeks in detention at the McHenry County Jail. I.C.E. had gotten him to sign a voluntary deportation agreement without the opportunity to have legal counsel, and that agreement has now been rescinded.

Watch for future articles about communication difficulties that detainees at the McHenry County Jail face.

1 comment:

FatParalegal said...

Good for you for helping this young man. I had a similar experience when I worked for a college, with a student from Africa, only it was the college's fault for not filing the paperwork correctly. She was not arrested but spent a week alone in Calgary because she was denied re-entry into the U.S. Very young, very alone and very afraid.

You raise a good question about ICE. Our tax dollars at work, eh?