Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Do it, or else


Don't you just love mail that comes with a threatening message printed right on the outside of the envelope? YOUR RESPONSE IS REQUIRED BY LAW.

What was my reaction? "Oh, yeah?"

Thanks to the extraordinary expense of last week's pre-mailing, probably everybody was expecting mail this week from the U.S. Census Bureau.

What will the Census Bureau (part of our kinder, friendlier government) do, if I don't respond?

First of all, they don't even know whether I actually received the mailing, do they? Maybe I found this empty envelope blowing down my driveway.

The Census Bureau didn't send it by Certified Mail with a Return Receipt requested, so if armed Federal agents come to my door, I'll just say, "What Census form?"

Remember, "anything you say, can and will be used against you in a court of law"! So the best advice is the direction that comes just before that one. Remember it? "You have the right to remain silent."

They might have said on the envelope: "Please complete and return within five days."

5 comments:

M.U.G. said...

Step one:
As required by law - question 1 [basically]: How many people live at your address?

Step two:
Enter answer........

Step three:
Return form.

Notawannabee said...

Do not put down your race or ethnic background. Check OTHER and then write in AMERICAN.....

mike said...

Be sure that you read it carefully! The first thing you read is to fill it out TODAY! Then, when you look at the form and read it for comprehension, they say "Complete and Mail on April 1st." The joke's on us, folks. These idiots don't even know when they want us to obey their commands. What the hell business of theirs if I'm a "Chamorro?" (native of Guam). In this land of equal opportunity, are they going to give my ZIP code more or less because of my ethnicity? Somehow that doesn't sound right. The One wouldn't do that to pander votes, would he?

Debra said...

I put HUMAN in the race box.

Gus said...

That's probably better than RAT (race).

Guess I should have read the instructions, because I already mailed mine back. Well, there won't be anyone else living here on April 1, so I probably won't have to worry about the SWAT team coming to my door.