Friday, March 29, 2013

Indiana figures out how to rip off drivers

Just heard on WLS (online) that the Indiana Toll Road will now start charging for Customer Service!

If you get stuck at a toll booth because of transponder problems and the gate won't raise, now drivers will get socked for a fee, if they call for help.

Maybe drivers will just sit there until help comes. Just imagine all lanes blocked, and drivers sitting there patiently (or not so ...), because they refuse to kowtow to Indiana's extortion. If you plan to drive on a tollroad in Indiana, be sure to take a book along for the ride.

A hard-to-read announcement (effective May 1, 2012) on the Indiana Toll Road homepage informs customers that, if your transponder is improperly mounted, then you'll get nicked "$1.00 surcharge per occurrence". I wonder how a customer service rep determines over the phone whether your transponder is "improperly" mounted.

Of course, as soon as she answers the phone and has your transponder account information handy, she can hit the "Sock it to this customer for $1" button on her keyboard. Nothing you can do about it, except call back and complain. Ka-ching. Another $1, I'll bet. And if you get mad, hang up and call back. Ka-ching! Another $1.

Warning: the Call Center is closed today (Good Friday). I guess you are out of luck if your transponder fails today at a tollgate. You'll just have to sit there until they re-open tomorrow or Monday.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

From what I understand, you are only charged if the transponder is not properly mounted on the windshield. There are people that leave the transponder in the glove box, or a purse, or laying on the floor...it's only those cases of "stupidity" that get fined.

Gus said...

About half the time I ride my motorcycle on the Illinois Tollway, my transponder is not recognized. I have it mounted on the handlebars, unobscured. I usually go through the manual lane (kind of defeats to purpose of the transponder!) to avoid the hassle of a V-toll.

Usually the attendant has to leave the booth, and I have to remove the transponder from its plastic holder. Then the attendant walks around under the canopy until the reader recognizes my transponder.

From now on, I'll skip that step and let the Tollway waste time manually processing the V-toll, because my motorcycle is registered correctly and I have funds in my account.

I avoid those robbers, anyway (the Indiana, Ohio and Pennsyvania Turnpikes). I just take the "scenic" routes. Plus I generally avoid the Tollway.

Unknown said...

I had to take my ipass off of my windshield to read off the transponder number then got charged $1 for having it improperly mounted. When I called ez pass they said they couldnt do anything about it, call ipass. Called ipass who said it was an indiana problem. They have found a loophole to charge you whatever they want and you cant do anything about it.

Also, why arent the transponder prices listed when you go through tolls?