Saturday, January 1, 2011

NY Resolution #1 - stop smoking

No, not me; you...

A reader sent me a link to the announcement of a stop-smoking class that will be offered by the McHenry County Department of Health, in partnership with Centegra.

When I tell people that I am a hypnotherapist, one of the first things they say to me is that they want to stop smoking. Now, I know why they say that to me. They wonder, can I help people stop smoking? Yes. Do I want to? I'd rather help them find out why they smoke. Until they know that, they aren't going to quit. Sometimes people think they know; they probably don't.

Want to quit? Just don't put a cigarette in your mouth. There. I just saved you a lot of time and money.

OK, seriously ...

Give the DOH program a shot. It's 7 weeks and $25. And you get the $25 back, if you attend all 7 nights. If it works, it was a good deal for you. Register by calling 877-CENTEGRA (236-8347). The program starts this Wednesday, January 5.

Or you could go to a group hypnosis program at a hotel. They cost about $49 and offer a money-back guarantee. What do you have to lose? Group hypnosis works for some people; for some, it doesn't.

What does smoking cost you? I followed a man in line at Walgreen's two days ago. He paid $5.49 for a pack of cigarettes.

If he smokes a pack a day, that's $38/week;
If he smokes a pack a day, that's $170/month;
If he smokes a pack a day, that's $2,000/year

Add in teeth, gum and mouth problems; smelly clothes; smelly car; smelly house. Add in healthcare costs for emphysema and cancer. Add in shortened lifespan and reduced earnings. Add in higher health and life insurance costs.

So, what would it be worth to you to quit smoking?

No comments: