Monday, January 3, 2011

Union at Woodstock Public Works

About 7-10 days ago I heard a rumor that the Public Works employees of the City of Woodstock had organized. On December 29 I emailed the Office of the City Manager and sent the following message, in hopes that I could gather information before publishing an article. Read on ...

"I heard a rumor that Public Works employees have organized and are now represented by a union. Will you please let me know if that is true?

"If so, was the City informed that an election was to be held to organize? Or was the City informed after the election of the result?

"Will you please let me know what union represents the Public Works employees, if they are now so represented, and when the election was? Also, what was the vote?"

Did I get a reply? No.
Any acknowledgement? No.
Any breath of life from the Office of the City Manager? No.
Any courtesy at all? No.

Does it look to me like the City released all of the information I requested just to the Northwest Herald?

So in the future I'll just file FOIA Requests and drive up the City's cost of providing information. It shouldn't be necessary to file FOIA requests for any and all information wanted from the City! All it should take is a polite inquiry. If the City feels it can't respond without a FOIA request in a specific situation, then it can so advise by return email.

Yesterday's Northwest Herald carried an article about the new union at Public Works. The reporter published it on Sunday morning. Obviously, she didn't get the story earlier on Sunday morning. She didn't get it on Saturday, Jan. 1. And she didn't get it on Friday, Dec. 31, when City offices were closed. So she got it on Thursday or earlier.

I'm not interested in "scooping" the Northwest Herald. For me, there is no race out here. I guess from now on I won't wait to publish rumors I hear about the City or its employees.

If I make a mistake, then I'll just say "Oops", and life goes on.

To me, it smells just the way it does to Local 150. The City is trying to force the last five employees into the union.

According to the Northwest Herald, "Thirty-two Public Works Department employees were certified into the union earlier this month, of which 27 supported unionizing. An irregular workweek and salary was the reason for joining the union," said Ken Edwards, the Local 150 attorney connected with the employees' union.

8 comments:

Dudley DoRight said...

An irregular workweek and salary was the reason for joining the union?

If my boss wants more workers on certain days, he puts more workers on the schedule. Except for holidays, if your normal schedule requires Saturday or night work that is the job you are paid for. DO cops and firemen get paid extra for working weekends? Last I knew they only got extra for the X amount of holidays.

WHY would the City of Woodstock want a union? When I read it in the paper I questioned WHY they wanted a union.

Public workers should not be unionized. Will they have a right to strike and hold citizens hostage?

Gus said...

Excellent comments, "MR.Patato".

My guess is the City did NOT want a union. Pressuring to include the five who opted out (or didn't opt in) will pit them against the majority of employees and create a more stressful working environment.

I've been told that Woodstock cops who work on week-ends DO get premium pay.

Gus said...

Derik Morefield sent an email to me on Friday, but it was not delivered. In it, he responded on behalf of the city employee who was off last week.

Derik advised that Union Local IOUE 150 would be representing Public Works employees and deferred to the City's HR director for further information.

Janelle Crowley emailed me earlier this morning that "The City is not provided with the exact numbers by the union." Hopefully, she has had time to read the Northwest Herald by now and learn that 27 workers followed each other down the union's yellow brick road.

Dudley DoRight said...

Here is a question maybe someone can answer.

Union 150 employees have a insurance package that is far lower than most other unions and employers. They also get retirement benefits higher than others. Will city employees get this perk?

Gus said...

Let me guess... the insurance package will be improved, and the retirement benefits will go ... up.

Dudley DoRight said...

They pay less as a copay for primo insurance

Gus said...

For many years "real" businesses have instituted increasing deductibles, increasing co-pays, lowered max limits on plans, and required employees to pay 100% of spouse and dependents' insurance coverage.

Yet "governments" continue to provide generous benefits, all paid for by the people whose benefits are being sliced and diced.

Franker said...

Gussy said, "I've been told that Woodstock cops who work on week-ends DO get premium pay"

Oh Gussy, you are 100% dead wrong! Woodstock Police do not get paid a penny more for working weekends or nights! Get your facts straight bone head!!!