Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Which way to ...?


I've been on the road for five days, enjoying sights down through central Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee and Alabama. South of Birmingham, I began to wonder whether you can really get "there" from "here."

I came across this sign between Birmingham and Phenix City, Ala. Like, what direction am I really going? I figured I was still going east (the sun helped), crossed my fingers and kept going. And, sure enough, wound up right at my destination. Not without a little help from the GPS, I must add.

6 comments:

Ellen said...

You are a better navigator than I am

Unknown said...

All you need now is a purple shirt and call that the Big Red Car!

QuitWhiningAlready said...

Well played, Ace. Fruit salad, yummy yummy.

Or not.

Bill Crittenden said...

It's called a Wrong-Way Concurrency, ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrong-way_concurrency#Wrong-way_concurrency ) and you don't need to travel that far to find one. Next time just ride down Route 47 until you get to Routes 20 and 72, and for a short time you're on three different roads, one east, one west, and one south. Here's some pictures of the signs: http://www.carsandracingstuff.com/library/i/illinoisroute47.php

Gus said...

Thanks, Bill. Very helpful, and thanks for the photos and explanation.

Unknown said...

"toot, toot, chugga, chugga big red car!"