Tuesday, February 15, 2011

County Board - does it have a plan?

Tonight I addressed the McHenry County Board regarding succession plans for the Office of Sheriff of the County. In my opinion Keith Nygren intends to vacate the Office of Sheriff and to move out of McHenry County. I had asked three County Board members in the past week and didn't have an answer.

As an aside, an informational letter from the Office of the McHenry County State's Attorney informed me late last year that, in their opinion, Sheriff Nygren intended to remain a resident of McHenry County, which is required to hold the office of Sheriff.

In my opinion, all that changed when he sold his house in Hebron on December 3. When you have just been re-elected to a four-year term of office, why would you sell your house two days after being sworn in and then turn right around and rent (presumably) from the subordinate to whom you had just sold your house?

I knew from experience that three minutes passes very quickly, so I read my remarks to the Board. I appreciated Chairman Koehler's close attention to my remarks, which I concluded by asking two questions:

1. Do they form a special committee to identify eligible candidates, from whom a successor would be chosen? and
2. Have they already formed such a committee?

I left without an answer to either question.

No comments: