Friday, April 9, 2010

P.D./F.D. response in Woodstock

There was a little excitement in the 300 block of South Madison Street in Woodstock this evening. The street was closed off with numerous fire district vehicles and police cars for approximately two hours, according to neighbors.

From one neighbor I learned that a man had run through a yard. The police caught him, and he may have dropped or thrown away some substance that caused the fire district to worry about air contamination. He told me there was both a K-9 response and a Haz-Mat response. The street was blocked off with yellow fire-line tape near the north end of the 300 South block.

I walked up to the line and stopped without crossing it, although I could see residents in their front yards farther south. A firefighter asked me to move back toward South Street, which I questioned, since I was outside the taped area and farther away than the residents in their front yards. The firefighter was nice about it, and I reluctantly moved northward. I noticed an off-duty cop there keeping an eye on me as if he was ready to pounce if I didn't move fast enough.

I was able to approach much closer from the south end of the block, where I was not challenged by police or fire personnel. By that time the big fire equipment was departing, but the street was still taped off.

For information, you may want to check the Press Release webpage of the Woodstock Police Department. Go to www.woodstockil.gov, then roll your mouse over City Departments, Police and Crime Stopper Cases/Press Releases/Crime Alerts, and click on the last.

4 comments:

Cal Skinner said...

I can't find anything dated today.

Gus said...

The Northwest Herald has the story now: www.nwherald.com

Unknown said...

Well this upcoming Tuesday April 12at 7pm, there will be a coffee with the Chief at the Woodstock Police Dept. The Mayor, Brian Sager will be in attendence to give his state of the City address...I encourage all those residents whom are intrested in the apparent drug problems plagueing our city to attend and voice your concerns. Here is a link to the offical annoucement. Hope to see you there. http://www.woodstockil.gov/vertical/Sites/%7B7B45EC48-D164-43E3-ACA3-4CC6ED948AFB%7D/uploads/%7B9C9C080B-2345-4421-B66D-B0674CAC3E62%7D.PDF

Unknown said...

Oops that is "Monday" April 12th.