Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Arizona law - not racial profiling!

Arizona has been much in the news since its governor signed the new law last Friday about taking enforcement action against those who are in the United States illegally.

Today I received an email from Teaching Tolerance, a division of the Southern Poverty Law Center in Montgomery, Alabama. The email contained an article titled "Arizona legalizes racial profiling."

I immediately called the SPLC to voice my opinion that Arizona's law is not a racial profiling law; it is an attempt to stem the tide of thousands and thousands who enter the U.S.A. illegally across Arizona's border with Mexico and to regain control over its state and its resources.

My opinion was respectfully received by the public affairs director. Over the 10-12 years that I have financially supported the Center, I have not agreed with everything they do. But I agree with most of it, and I shall continue my support. At the same time I will attempt to persuade them that Arizona's law is in the best interest of law-abiding citizens and residents in Arizona and in the best interests of the United States of America.

By the way, President Obama is wrong to so quickly blast this bill. His quick demand for the Justice Department to examine whether Arizona's law is unconstitutional is wrong. If it's unconstitutional, some aggrieved person will get it into the courts fast enough without the POTUS sticking his nose into it.

To read the article, go to http://www.tolerance.org/blog/arizona-legalizes-racial-profiling/ Be sure to read some of the early comments.

1 comment:

Gus said...

Take a look at this wise statement and position of a City Councilperson in Phoenix:

"I will oppose any effort on the part of the Phoenix City Council to direct City staff to litigate SB 1070.

"It would be irresponsible to launch a taxpayer-funded court fight over an issue that already is the subject of a Justice Department review. At a time when we face limited resources, we must focus on using funds to deliver necessary city services and not on unnecessary legal battles.

"Furthermore, I have faith in our Governor’s position that the state’s police officers will be thoroughly trained as they go forward enforcing a law that strives to address a crisis we did not create but one the federal government continues to ignore."