Monday, April 19, 2010

Overkill at the drug bust?

Remember the recent mobile meth-lab bust in the 300 block of South Madison Street, Woodstock, on April 9?

In the mail today came this comment: "If you wanted to see a total waste of man power and money you should have been present for the big Meth Bust on Madison Street recently. The entire street was filled with emergency vehicles from several communities. Countless emergency responders in full garb walking up and down the street----however, not a single bystander was told to take cover—instead residents were also walking about etc. From the looks of it we thought perhaps an entire Meth Lab had been uncovered! Instead just some idiot with some sealed bottles in a duffel bag. Hopefully they then searched his residence."

When I walked up the yellow tape barrier, a firefight quickly (and politely) asked me to move away from it and farther down the street a couple of doors. I asked why, since residents were on their front lawns a lot closer to the action than I was at that point.

Anyone care to guess how many court dates Josh Slaten will have before the verdict is in? 15? 25? You can follow his case at www.mchenrycircuitclerk.org Use Case Number 10CF000386.

I never did see that name of the woman who was driving the car in the paper or any mention that she got a ticket for whatever violation caused the officer to stop her.

Which reminds me... This might be a good time to file a FOIA request with the Woodstock Police Department and find out just why she did get stopped.

6 comments:

Notawannabee said...

I believe the writer would have a different attitude if it went KaBOOM!

Do some internet searches on Meth Lab explosions. A mobile meth lab exploded in rural Oklahoma killing two firemen.

A mobile meth lab set up in a motel room took out the entire second floor.

Yup..a waste of time....geeze.

Unknown said...

Perhaps if they were more informed of the volitility of the chemicals involved with Meth production, they would have understood the need for all the manpower?

Gus said...

Thanks, Andy. And maybe all the "manpower" might have moved the residents back into their homes from their front yards, just across the street?

Unknown said...

Well, just goes to show that you can't make everyone happy no matter what you do.

Franker said...

Oh yes, we are now in Nazi Germany, "all the manpower might have moved the residents back into their homes from their front yards." Gussy, you sooooo funny! Can't make people do something they don't want to. Besides the firemen love the show!

Gus said...

Come on, Frank. I wasn't born yesterday.

You know, and I know, that "all the manpower" could have moved people back inside their homes or at least warned them of the potential danger.

You've probably heard of "refusing to follow directions of a peace officer"; right? I'll bet there is a similar law about following orders from firefighters that are in the interest of public safety.

Although I was standing on public property, when the firefighter told me to move and the cop was standing there, waiting to see if I obeyed, I moved. I didn't like his order and wasn't sure it was lawful, but I moved.

No, stop! Don't try to hug me or give me a medal.