Friday, April 16, 2010

Bad wreck on 47


Late this afternoon there was a bad wreck on Route 47 south of Woodstock. At least two vehicles tangled south of Lucas Road at approximately 5:30PM.

I went checking after being passed by a Woodstock police car running hot on Lake Avenue. I backtracked on Lake and turned right on 47, going south until I came upon the crash. A Woodstock police was parked blocking southbound traffic, and the officer was directing traffic to turn either left or right on Lucas Road.

I could see the wreck ahead on 47 and parked, so that I could walk to the scene. Approximately 200 yards north of the wreck, I was turned back and not permitted to go closer for vehicle pictures. I explained that I did not intend to photograph injured persons, but I was directed back to Lucas Road, which was about 0.2 miles from the crash site.
The white sedan off the roadway on the west shoulder had left front-end damage. I was unable to see past fire equipment to see any other vehicles. Click on the image to enlarge it; then click on the Back button on your browser to return to the story. The crash investigation will be handled by the McHenry County Sheriff's Department.

A large blue truck, possibly a tractor-trailer, is stopped beyond the point of impact. I could not tell whether it had been involved in the crash or if the driver stopped because he had witnessed it.
(9:19PM Cal Skinner has some good photos of the crash site on www.mchenrycountyblog.com)

1 comment:

Gus said...

The crash was described to me at 10:30PM as a "minor personal-injury accident" involving three cars. One driver will be cited for improper lane usage. One occupant is hospitalized.