Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Attn. Dorr Township Residents

What are you doing on Tuesday, April 13th, at 7:00PM?

There is one place for you to be, and it's not in front of your television set. It's at the Woodstock High School for the Annual Dorr Township Meeting.

Why? Because you may have the opportunity to vote on a refund to taxpayers (you!) of $1,000,000. OK, so you don't get the whole million, but you can get your piece of the pie.

The Township has built up a nice kitty of $2,700,000 and was hoping to build a new township office building. The Citizens' Committee last year informed the Trustees that they ought not to build and that they should refund $1,000,000.

YOUR presence, consideration and vote on Tuesday (that's one week from now) are needed. What do YOU want done with this $1,000,000?

There is absolutely nothing on the homepage of the Dorr Township website http://www.dorrtownship.com/ about this important question and the vote next Tuesday. The "Annual Town Meeting & Special Board Meeting" do appear under "Next Meetings", but there is nothing about the agenda for the Meetings.

Although the Town Clerk resigned on March 31, 2010 (and, therefore, there is no Town Clerk at this time), her name still appears on the Clerk's webpage.

The Agendas for the March 25th and March 9th meetings still appear on the Clerk's webpage, but you have to click on Agenda at the bottom of the Clerk's page to find them. The casual viewer might see the March 25th Agenda at the top of the page and assume that is the most recent agenda and then not find the April 13th Agenda. (Note: 4/7/10 the April 13 Agenda is now on top and easily found.)

The electors (you!) will be asked to approve a presentation by the Citizens Planning Committee of its September 2009 findings and recommendations. Please vote YES to hear the CPC presentation.

Then see, way down the Agenda near the bottom, Agenda Item 11, Disposal of Surplus Township Assets. This is where the rubber will meet the road. Will the Trustees let go of the $1,000,000 and return the over-collection of funds to the taxpayers?

Or will they decide that they know what's good for you and keep the money?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Gus,

I am responding to this post because you wondered who decided on the agenda placement on the Dorr Township website.

I am that person. My name is Kelli Myers and I'm the Dorr Township Assessor. I have been the person responsible for updating our website content since I was deputy assessor and the township first began the website. The township is now in the process of finding a way to change the way we do the website so I am no longer the person to do all of the updates.

Here's what happened with the agenda: Kathy Schlapp, our former clerk, would email me her notices and agenda to post. I put them on as received. The most current I would post on top. Before Kathy resigned her position she had provided me with the agenda and notices for the annual meeting. These were posted on the website.

The week of March 22, I began a long-planned vacation. The first morning of my vacation I received a phone call from the township that a special meeting had been called and the notice had to be posted before Tuesday. I changed my plans and went to work that evening to post the notice. I simply put it on top, as it was the latest notice.

There were no poor intentions involved on my part as to notice placement. This morning after I was told about this blog, I changed the clerk information on the website as well. Reason I hadn't before: I simply forgot. I had prioritized my assessment work and changing the clerk info on the website had simply not come to my mind.

I think I understand your intentions with your blog. You want people to be informed and maybe stand up for the people.

On a personal level, I understand this as well. I get frustrated personally when I feel that I do not really know who or what to vote for because I constantly feel as though the news and reporting sources are biased. Even those that claim they are balanced seem to show a slant.

I believe in people and that they can make sound decisions when given all of the facts of the matter, not my opinion based on the facts, but here are the facts. How I long for that! How I long for the ability to make sound decisions based on the facts from all parties involved.

Anyway, you asked a question. I wanted to answer it for you.

Have a great week!

Sincerely,
Kelli Myers

Gus said...

Kelli,

Thanks for your explanation of the Agenda order, and thanks also for updating the Dorr Township website.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting my response Gus
:)