Thursday, June 9, 2016

Reading List: Founders' Son

A new (2014) book about Abraham Lincoln is providing me with insight to political campaigning and good parallels to Donald Trump's campaign.

Be sure to read Founders' Son: A Life of Abraham Lincoln, by Richard Brookhiser. I heard him interviewed on NPR a few months ago and noted his name and book title. It's available in hard cover, soft cover, Audible and e-books. At this time I'm reading an e-copy from my library, but the book is worth owning.

As I consider Trump's campaign and the stir it is creating, I find good background information all through Brookhiser's book. I believe that nothing Trump does is not planned. He is looking ahead, past November 8 and January 20.

I wish I had written down Hillary's words as she claimed the victory in the Democratic race. She didn't mention the people of America. She mentioned the Democratic Party first!

Lincoln didn't worry about being "politically correct". His words in the 1840s and 1850s would have stirred the ire of the BLM movement and gotten him labeled as a racist, and it would have lost sight of what Lincoln really stood for. But maybe some skins were just as think then as now.

No comments: