Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Renew your D/L early?

Have you ever thought about renewing your driver's license early? Did you know you can do that?

Even though my birthday is in February, I went to the Woodstock DMV today and renewed my driver's license. Maybe I'll be out-of-town in January-February (it's cold then; right?) - somewhere in a warmer climate. New Zealand sounds nice...

In my hand I took a report from my eye doctor, so that I would not have to take the eye exam at the DMV. When I presented it, the clerk asked if I wore my glasses all the time. I remembered the eye doctor had commented on improvement in my vision, and so I asked if I qualified for my driver's license without a glasses restriction. She said I did, and I walked out with a license unrestricted for vision.

Today reminded me of a day when I was 16 and taking my first physical for a pilot's license. The eye doctor filled out the form and noted I had to wear glasses when flying. When I received my FAA license, there was no glasses requirement. So, while I wore glasses to see, according to the FAA, I didn't have to.

I really liked the $5 renewal fee for my driver's license (plus another $5 for the motorcycle endorsement). Do they think I operate my car and my motorcycle at the same time? Is that why they charge a fee for each? Still, that was a lot easier on my checkbook than having to dole out $35 for the same privileges.

Can't wait until I'm 85. Then my driver's license will be free.

No comments: