Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Algonquin Village Board - nuts?

The Algonquin Village Board might as well order some dynamite and demolish Tyvek Towers, on the corner of IL 31 and IL 62. Maybe a movie company would be interested in filming a disaster there (in addition to the disaster that the Board has already started).

The Board's vision is to attract affluent property owners to downtown Algonquin. I suggest they head to the nearest optician (or, better, ophthalmologist) and get their eyes checked.

They are never going to attract affluent buyers to that corner. Who would ever buy an upscale, expensive condo on that corner? Well, there is somebody... Probably the guy who bought desert land in Arizona and 5 acres of beautiful mountain property somewhere in Colorado or Wyoming - and then found out there were no roads, no utilities, no water and nobody else.

Even if and when a bypass is completed, who would want to live on that corner, affluent or not?

If the current developer walks, and he probably will, will anyone else step in before the walls start falling down?

3 comments:

Ed. said...

"the guy who bought desert land in Arizona"? Hey! I resemble that remark.

Actually, I inherited it: two plots in Bell Brand Ranches, somewhere north of I-40 near St. Johns. My dad bought it back in the '60s.

However, I have no interest in Tyvek Tower. Not until my lottery ship comes in, anyway.

Unknown said...

My family is counting on that buildings being converted into apartments. My boyfriend and I have a 5 year old, and a baby on the way. He is one of the construction workers hired to do the revamp. It will mean a year of work for him, and the opportunity for me to stay home with my a new born to breastfeed. I hope these snobs get theirs heads out of their arses, and get a grip on reality.

Gus said...

I don't know if the original developer and the trustees thought that Algonquin was going to be the next "Loop". The luxury condo idea was a pipedream right from the start.

If the Village wants to support the shops on Main Street and on Randall Rd. (not that the latter need support), then affordable apartments are the way to go.

Or else the Village will end up demolishing it after the latest developer walks away from it.