Thursday, October 21, 2010

When you go to vote ...

As I prepared to vote early this week, I faced the dilemma that I hope every voter recognizes this election time.

Do you vote for the best man (or woman), or do you vote for the best person who has the best chance of winning?

The race where this was an issue for me is the Illinois Governor's race (and some others). Rich Whitney is the best candidate but, as the Green Party candidate and with little money (compared to the others), he trails the pack. I don't want Quinn as Governor, so that leaves Brady.

The choice? Brady or Whitney.

I chose Rich Whitney. The only way for the best man to win is to get enough votes.

This state desperately needs a straight shooter for Governor.

I didn't vote a straight Green ticket. There are good Green candidates in all the races, and I support the growth of this third established political party in Illinois. The Green Party is a bonafide political party.

Study the candidates. Then vote for the best candidate, regardless of party.

3 comments:

dave said...

I have no idea how you can eliminate Quinn but still consider Bill Brady.

I take it you don't really identify with the Green Party platform?

Gus said...

dave, I wasn't saying that I wanted Brady. But, looking at the numbers and the realistic possibilities, Rich Whitney might get 15-17% of the vote and so doesn't have the chance to beat Quinn that Brady does. That was my consideration of Brady.

Then I thought of the other races where that might apply. And then I realized that I must vote for whom I considered the best man for the office. And that's why I voted for Rich Whitney!

Unlike my dad, who always said that he "would vote for the best man, as long as he was a Republican."

dave said...

But here is my point...

I really like Rich Whitney, and voted for him in 2006.

But on a rough political scale, it would go like this:

Constitutional
Republican
Democrat
Green

It isn't that cut and dry, but it is true for the most part.

Bill Brady is scary. He is scary because of his view on women. Because of his views on workers. Because of his views on social services. Because of his clueless views on the budget.

Basically - his views go completely against everything that the Green Party stands for. Everything.

So, while I am glad that you voted for Whitney over Brady, I still am baffled why you would even consider voting for Brady over Quinn, if you truly identify with the Green Party platform and Rich Whitney.