Monday, October 25, 2010

Sheriff candidates meet in final forum

Just when I was getting all warmed up, it's over. Tonight was the final scheduled forum of candidates for election the Office of Sheriff of McHenry County on November 2.

If the voters of McHenry County want a Sheriff who is "real people," there really is only one choice. To me, the choices look like they are between a politician, a cop and a real person.

Don't get me wrong. Mike Mahon is a nice guy. He's honest. He is doing his homework and digging out information on budgets and some expenditures. He's working hard to support those four kids under 11 and his wife, who is at home with the kids.

Is it enough that I'll take the 20% pay cut that I've said I would? That I'll drive my own car to work and not expect the County to provide me with a $75,000 white Chevy Tahoe with heated leather seats? That I'll buy my own gas and not ask the County to reimburse me?

Tonight I said I'd do away with the prevalent use of cell phones for official communications during calls. Those cell phone conversations are not recorded for posterity on Department recording equipment, as are police radio transmissions.

Those conversations, directives, responses are important and need to be recorded. They are like the dashboard videocameras. Often they will catch the deputies doing things exactly right. But sometimes they won't. Then it won't be easy to sweep poor handling under the carpet. And, if I'm sheriff, we don't be doing that kind of sweeping!

Thanks to the League of Women Voters for running a tight program and for starting with the Pledge of Allegiance.

No comments: