Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Woodstock election results

Northwest Herald got its headline wrong this morning, when it shouted "Woodstock re-elects Sager".

The results?

Brian Sager, 1,713, 74.74%
Mark InDyke, 579, 25.26%

While I realize headlines are to announce a winner, was there really any doubt in Woodstock? I had never heard Mark Indyke's name before this campaign.

I don't know a lot of what goes on in Woodstock. My focus is, admittedly, a little narrow, since I know that I see first what is wrong with something. That's just how I am wired. Having said that, when I see something running correctly, I am quick to say so.

So, for a man who was a relative unknown (to me) to gain 25% of 2,292 votes is a huge accomplishment.

I heard Stew Cohen say on Y103.9 this morning that less than 16% of the registered voters in McHenry County voted yesterday.

How do you get elected in a local election? You run a stealth campaign. And for a long time before an election. You work hard and silently, as well as publicly. You use the Amway principle; ask 5 to vote for you; ask those 5 to ask 5 more, who will ask 5 more, who will ask 5 more, etc. Then on election day you dazzle your opponents, and they find themselves sitting in the back row the next morning, wondering, "Where did he get all those votes?"

Brian Sager is the more experienced in government affairs. He has the experience to continue to lead Woodstock.

If I have one suggestion, it is that the City Council assert more leadership. All members are elected to represent the City of Woodstock. We don't need Island Lake politics here, but more vigorous discussion and even dissent (followed by a vote registering your dissent!) will benefit this City.

If you say at a City Council meeting that you oppose something, then oppose it when you vote!

Oh, by the way; the City Council election results? There were no challengers to the incumbents.

Dick Ahrens, 1610, 33.90%
R B Thompson, 1607, 33.84%
Mike Turner, 1532, 32.26%

Should there ever be a political race, anywhere, where there is not even one challenger?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, it would seem that some guy named Sager was, in fact, elected to his second term as mayor of the city known as Woodstock. I think maybe you got your first sentence wrong.

Gus said...

Thanks, Joe, but I was trying to make a point. Guess I missed.

Certainly, Brian Sager was re-elected as Mayor of Woodstock.

The point was that there were probably closer election results in other communities, where the outcome was not as expected.

I'm grant that the incumbent has an edge. Sager is well-liked and is doing a good job. But his re-election wasn't any surprise, and it wasn't the hottest race in the County. At least, in my opinion it wasn't.