Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Giving IRS the shirt ...

... off your back took on new meaning on April 15, 1985.

The date was Monday, April 15, 1985, and I had members of the Win/Win Business Forum to an Income Tax Party. A small restaurant, The Philadelphia Filly, in Denver was normally closed on Mondays but Sally, the owner, agreed to open if I promised enough people to make it worth her while.

As I recall, about 100 people showed up. It was standing room only.

When John White arrived, he was well-dressed – a three-piece, blue suit, white shirt, nice tie. John headed straight into the men’s room, and it seemed he was in there a long time. I was beginning to worry that he might have some type of health problem, when he emerged – still wearing the three-piece suit and tie, but carrying his white shirt!

Now there was a guy who understood about giving the IRS the shirt “off your back”!

Not an April 15th has passed since then that I have not thought of John.

After the party many of was caravanned to the downtown Post Office in Denver to mail our tax returns.

If you'll be heading to the Post Office late this evening (no, they don't have the forms there!), be sure to call ahead to ask the time of the latest mail deposit that will bear today's date. Some information can be found for local post offices in today's Northwest Herald.

This year I did not put off my return until the last day. I mailed them yesterday!

No comments: