Friday, April 24, 2009

WDBA delays Annual Meeting

The Woodstock Downtown Business Association (WDBA) has announced a delay in its Annual Meeting. The Annual Meeting, usually held in April, will be held in June on a date yet to be announced, after the WDBA learns of its allocation expected from the City of Woodstock.

The City's funding is crucial at this time to the continued operations of the WDBA, but it should be only a portion of the revenues raised by the organization. A more desirable funding mechanism would be a balance of contributions from business owners in Woodstock (not just downtown), residents and community supporters and the City.

The WDBA and the Illinois Main Street program are vital to building and sustaining a thriving, vibrant, downtown Woodstock. Classic Cinemas is making a huge investment on Main Street by expanding its movie theater operation. This expansion should draw large numbers of customers to the Square.

Many see only a larger parking problem on the Square, but with the right atmosphere and marketing many of these customers will do much more than just drive to the Square, see a movie and leave.

Even in an economic downturn (call it whatever - a recession or a depression) entertainment seems to do well. Services and merchandise at the right price, and delivered with the right attitude, will mean stores and businesses staying in business.

Downtown Woodstock must be better organized. Do you know there are three tattoo parlors near the Square? Does this type of business show up in a thriving downtown area or in one headed down a long slope into oblivion?

Customer service in every business should be first class. There is no room for poor customer service. Hint: perhaps the Chamber of Commerce ought to organize a customer service seminar and offer it to every business, and then "persuade" business owners to send their employees. Maybe a customer service rating scale/survey would help identify those businesses that need a little "help".

I recall buying a book in a bookstore on the Square when I first moved to Woodstock. As I recall, it was located near Lloyd's Paint and Paper. I had ordered a book and was in the store to pick it up. As the clerk began to wait on me, the phone rang. I could tell she was debating whether to ring up my purchase or answer the phone.

"Do you mind if I answer the phone?" she asked.

"Yes," I replied.

She looked surprised at my answer, but she answered it anyway and found herself engaged in a long conversation with a phone shopper. Five minutes later, when she finally took my money, I told her that had not really worked very well for me that she remained on the phone so long. The name of the book I was buying? Radical Honesty, by Brad Blanton.

I laughed as I walked to my car, thinking, "I shouldn't have bought that book. I should have written that book!"

OK, readers. What stores here in Woodstock give great customer service? And which ones don't? Use the comment section below.

No comments: