Monday, April 20, 2009

Legal bill - ever surprised?

Have you ever been surprised by the large amount of a bill from your lawyer?

Yes - 7 (35%)
No - 13 (65%)

Many thanks to the 20 readers who responded to this survey.

Certainly, there was nothing scientific about this survey. It’s all relative. What might be a large bill to me, might not be so to another person.

Before you authorize legal work, ask your lawyer what it’s going to cost you. Here are some good questions:

How much is your hourly billing rate for courtroom appearance, trials, etc.?
Do I pay for travel time to the courthouse?
How much is your hourly billing rate for out-of-court work?
How many hours do you expect to work on this project?
How do I establish a stopping point at which you must get further written authorization from me before proceeding with billable work?
What work can be done by an associate or paralegal at a lower hourly rate, and what is the billing rate for their work?
If your associate/paralegal and you meet to discuss my legal work, do I get billed for all the time of those involved?
What breakdown of billing time do I receive with my statement?
What are your payment terms? (Expect “due upon receipt of statement”)
What happens if I don’t, or can’t, pay?

There must additional questions that should be asked. If you have a favorite or important one, please post it.

No comments: