Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Jack Franks vs. concealed carry

This afternoon I dropped by Rep. Jack Franks’ office and was greeted by one of his very friendly office employees, Joanne.

When I asked where Jack stood on concealed carry, she was almost profuse in her explanation of Jack’s position. He’s a FOID cardholder. He’s a strong supporter of the Second Amendment. He’s an avid hunter!

Sound familiar. I figured that she was the same office person with whom I had spoken by phone on about March 12. Hers is a scripted response and was almost word-for-word what she had told me 12 days ago.

“And he’s not in favor of concealed carry,” she said.

When I asked why not, she couldn’t (or wouldn’t) tell me. She suggested I email my question to Jack. That’s when I showed her the copy of my email to him on March 12, which I had been assured I would receive a reply to. And which has gone unanswered.

After we had talked for 2-3 minutes, she acknowledged my strong position and said that I certainly have a lot of faith in my fellow man. Yes, indeed, I do. I told her that I would defend her child and her, if I saw them being robbed or carjacked or if a gunman burst into Jack’s office.

I asked again for the basis for Jack’s refusal to consider concealed carry positively, and I offered to provide facts that substantiate that more guns (ex., concealed) actually reduce crime.

She, unphased, asked if I would consider the opposite view. I replied that I would consider it, but she had nothing to offer. If she gives me all the Brady information, I’ll provide facts that refute their claims.

Jack, why are you against concealed carry? Is it because you have no faith that law-abiding, honest, FOID card-carrying, licensed, trained, responsible citizens can carry concealed weapons responsibly, as they do in about 40 States?

Joanne asked why I didn’t go to Chicago and try to change the minds of the legislators there. I told her that Jack is my elected representative, and my job is to change his mind. After that’s done, then I’ll go to Chicago and start on them.

Does anyone have suggestions for how to elicit reasons for positions from an elected representative?

2 comments:

Gene said...

Maybe some day he'll be involved in or witness a violent crime and wish he had a firearm to stop the offender and save a life. The criminals will always carry firearms, that's why they're criminals. Why can't law abiding citizens protect themselves and their families.

Gus said...

The message from JoAnne in Jack's office was really clear. She does not trust honest people to do the right thing. I had to assume she was speaking for Jack, since I was asking for Jack's reason for not supporting concealed carry, not hers.

She doesn't have a clue about firearms responsibility and about the training, knowledge, mindset and liability that goes with concealed carry.

People say they don't want the Wild West in Illinois. What they forget is that people in the wild West reclaimed their towns because they had guns with which to fight off the criminals.