Friday, March 14, 2008

Sheriff Asks for ISA Bucks

Did anyone else receive the letter from Sheriff Nygren, asking financial support of the Illinois Sheriffs' Association? While I am pretty sure that no County taxpayer funds were used to generate this mailing, I absolutely detest the use of his title "Sheriff, McHenry County" in this letter and the appearance of his name "Sheriff Keith Nygren" in the return address window of the envelope.

The letter prompted me to telephone the headquarters of the Illinois Sheriffs Association to inquire where the Association stands on concealed-carry by law-abiding citizens in Illinois. The executive director, Greg Sullivan, was out, and I hope he'll return my call next week.

I had spoken with him 3-4 years ago and learned of the serious split in opinion among the 102 sheriff's in Illinois. The northern bunch (that includes Sheriff Nygren) oppose concealed carry, and many in the rest of the state favor it.

I remember one of the first phone calls I made after moving to Illinois in 1996. I called the Woodstock Police Department to ask how to get an application for a concealed weapons permit. At least, the officer didn't laugh at me when he suggested I call the McHenry County Sheriff's Department.

But the deputy there did laugh, as he told me that I would NEVER get a concealed weapons permit in Illinois. Well, times are changing. Now 48 states allow some form of carry. Two states - Illinois and Wisconsin - do not. And Wisconsin almost did, except for two legislators who wimped out when it was time to over-ride Gov. Doyle's veto.

Will I support the Illinois Sheriffs' Association? For $20.00? Yes, if they will adopt a Board-approved position in favor of concealed carry. Otherwise, I don't need their decal in my car's back window.

I may even survey the 102 sheriffs. My guess is that more than 50% of them would be in favor of concealed carry, as are many sheriffs, police chiefs and other law enforcement personnel across the United States.

After all, crime goes down when concealed carry is permitted.

1 comment:

Gus said...

Do sheriffs state-wide support concealed-carry laws? How about 75% of them?