Friday, May 7, 2010

CBS: Metra's legal investigator attacks Pagano

McHenry County Blog (www.mchenrycountyblog.com) tonight is reporting:

"CBS (-TV Channel 2 News) is reporting the following:
“(James) Sotos said his preliminary investigation ‘raised the possibility of more serious misconduct, official misconduct and the possibility of violations of the public trust.’”

Nice, huh? Would I leap off the bridge if James Sotos said that about me? I wouldn't. Would you?

If Mr. Sotos has some facts to back up his "possibility", then he needs to present them right alongside the allegations.

Just what purpose is gained by Sotos' flapping his lips to a reporter, when he should be reporting only to his client, Metra (unless his legal agreement with them allows him to make statements to the press with or without Board approval)? Isn't he supposed to be conducting an investigation?

If so, shouldn't he be investigating and not making statements to the press? Since the Metra Board canceled its special meeting this morning, Sotos obviously did not make any statements to the Board today.

Well, that's my two-cents' worth, anyway.

2 comments:

FatParalegal said...

I respectfully disagree. I'm glad he made those comments. The press isn't a courtroom, so there was no need for Sotos to present facts to the press.

When I had my court case, I felt (and still feel) as though my "trial" was conducted in the press more than in court. People believed what was said in the NWH, DH, etc. rather than what really occurred. I had bloggers calling for my death! from the misrepresentations of what happened.

Real nice huh? Yep, some of those comments made me feel like jumping off a bridge many, many days.

mike said...

Interesting stance considering the way this blog deals in rumor, innuendo and supposition which is rarely backed up with facts at the time its published. Your point about Sotos' responsibility to his client, Metra, is well taken. Then too, someone holding that position should also realize that unless he's the client (and you aren't, Gus) it's an issue between him and his client if it's an issue at all. According to the news reports a preliminary report was already issued to Metra. Sotos was investigating the allegations and appears to have uncovered more improprieties. I suspect that he can back up anything he said in those releases which is more than I can say for some other folks.