Sunday, May 30, 2010

Best dawg in Chicago


I've been wondering about where to find the best dawg in Chicago, and Superdawg gets my vote. I was there yesterday - for the first time.

The original Superdawg is located at 6363 North Milwaukee Avenue, Chicago. I was there with three friends and we enjoyed the "must-have-on-the-first visit" Superdawg with fries.

When we entered the small parking lot, we were greeted by a smiling man who was directing traffic. He turned out to be Scott Berman, whose parents started Superdawn in 1948. After we backed into a parking space alongside an outdoor ordering menu, Scott told us the history of Superdawg. His parents, a CPA and a school teacher, started it and pretty quickly decided that running it was more fun that doing taxes or teaching kids.

His dad invented the potato slicer still in use today and explained that various ingredients are grown especially for their business, such as their potatoes from Idaho. Scott is an attorney and, when I saw I was from Woodstock, told me about his economic development activity here in Woodstock in the early 1970s.

We ordered the hot peppers "on the side." After sampling them, I called him over to our car window and told him I had eaten the peppers. I said I was having an emergency and asked what the phone number was for 911. He "got" it...

A second Superdawg is open in Wheeling, Ill. at 333 South Milwaukee Avenue (which is 11.3 miles northwest of the original Superdawg). If you haven't been there, I recommend a visit soon!

1 comment:

M.U.G. said...

Great Dawgs! Order them and a side of superfries and superonionchips. Now, my friends, that is good eating!