Saturday, May 15, 2010

The truth, the whole truth, and ...

Just how important is your word? your honor? your integrity?

When you say you are going to do something, do you mean it? Do you feel required to do it? Or, if you are not going to do it, do you feel obligtated to communicate that as soon as you do or must change your mind?

If someone doesn't understand you and you realize it's to your advantage that they didn't understand you, do you explain again, so that they do understand you?

Years ago I had the pleasure of knowing a man who does business worldwide on his word. Not even a handshake is needed to "seal the deal." Certainly, no contract was required to make international deals certain, although papers and forms were often filled out so that his employees could fulfill the agreements.

His word was his bond. Just a cliche'? No, not for him, and not for the others in his business.

I recall a time when he was considering a significant purchase of a product I was selling - a $1,000,000 life insurance policy. Whole life. With an annual premium of somewhere around $25,000 which, of course, would have meant a substantial commission. One day I received a call from him, and he asked me to come to his office.

When I arrived, he looked me right in the eye and explained that he was not going to purchase the policy from me but, instead, from a competitor he knew to have an inferior policy. However, the competing agent had offered to rebate half the commission to him. That company paid a substantially high commission rate - in the range of 90% of the first annual premium.

He said he knew that commission rebating was illegal - for the agent. But his lawyer had informed him that it was not illegal for him to receive the rebate from the agent. Because of the large amount of the rebate, he had decided to buy that policy.

I have always appreciated his honesty. His agent was a crook and he knew it, but his contract was with that insurance company, not the agent.

Now, fast-forward to the 21st Century. Where do people stand on issues of honesty, such as perjury and forgery?

It seems to mean so little now when people swear to tell the truth, and then lie. It means so little when they sign a document attesting to the truth, but know what they are signing is not true.

And why don't those in charge stand tall and challenge what has just happened right under their noses?

You might think by now that I am referring to the current snarl at Metra, but I'm not. What I'm writing about is a lot closer to home. A lot!

1 comment:

FatParalegal said...

I used to believe in truth, honor, and integrity. However, the ASA convinced Judge Weech that I was lying, even though that was not true.