Monday, May 17, 2010

I was wrong

At the Dorr Township monthly meeting on May 11, one resident asked the Trustees to meet in open session to discuss the candidates for the Town Clerk position and to interview them in open session. Another resident supported their intention to interview in executive session.

I threw in my two-cents' worth and said I thought the candidates could be interviewed in private, but I encouraged the Trustees to be scrupulous about not making a decision in private.

Looking back, I was wrong. I should have spoken up and asked the Trustees to interview the candidates in public. My sense now is their minds were made up before they ever met that night. The collection of resumes, applications or whatever was a "formality", and their submissions were an exercise in futility by the applicants.

Read Bob Meale's letter to the editor in today's Northwest Herald. If you hurry, you can read it online. Go to www.nwherald.com and search for "Meale". Bob doesn't mince any words, and it's not "sour grapes."

There could not have been any "vetting" by the trustees, unless "vetting" in the township means checking to see if a candidate is driving a 'vette.

No comments: