Sunday, January 12, 2014

New signs soon near Sheriff's Office

An order has been prepared to the City of Woodstock to install new road signs on Ware Road and Russel Court by the McHenry County Sheriff's Department. (Unfortunately, they probably won't obey my order.)

It's unlikely signs will be installed before the games begin inside the Sheriff's Office on Monday, when Equal Employment Opportunity Officer Don Leist is expected to begin trying to extract information from deputies and correctional officers about their testimony, when they are deposed as witnesses in a Federal lawsuit against the Sheriff's Office.

No doubt that Leist will want to stay on the safe side of the intimidation line, but it won't matter what he tries. If a witness feels intimidated, he (or she) should report that to the Federal judge.

Leist likely will record the meetings. Each deputy and correctional officer should show up with his own tape or digital recorder. Walk right in and lay it on the desk first-thing. Tell Leist that you will be recording the meeting and hand him a sheet of paper, informing him that you will be recording the meeting. Keep a copy of it.

If you are feeling really ballsy, put an acknowledgement line on it for Leist's signature after "I, Don Leist, acknowledge that I have been informed that Deputy/CO ______ will be recording this meeting on ___/___ at ___:_______ AM/PM."

That you WILL be recording the meeting. If he doesn't want you to record it, then it ought to be really quiet from his side of the table.

If he orders you to turn it off, that will be on the tape. Before you turn it off, say "I don't know whether your order to turn off my recorder is lawful. I shall comply with your direct order to turn off my recording device. I shall comply with every other lawful order after I have obtained advice from my attorney. Until that time, I shall remain quiet and not comment. Please do not intimidate me further."

No comments: