Friday, June 24, 2011

More tax dollars up in smoke? or, is it "down the drain"?

Or are they chasing shadows? or one Shadow?

Thanks to Shadow's MCSD (http://shadowmcsd.blogspot.com/) this afternoon I learned on the Crystal Lake Patch (http://crystallake.patch.com/articles/sheriffs-attorney-subpoenas-google-to-determine-blog-owner) that Sheriff Keith Nygren hasn't yet reached the bottom of the very deep pockets of taxpayers in McHenry County. Now he has sicced his legal beagle, Jim Sotos, on Google to try to uncover the identify of the author of The Real MCSO Exposed that vanished from blogspot.com a few days ago.

The sheriff is blaming his antagonist, Zane Seipler, for internal documents (very revealing ones, too) from the sheriff's department to give readers a new understanding about leadership at MCSD.

I don't know if I have a long-enough FOIA Request form to ask how many dollars have flowed from the McHenry County Sheriff's Department to the Itasca (Ill.) law firm of James G. Sotos & Associates, LTD. Or maybe I just don't want to pay for all those pages of print-outs at $0.15/page that would explain a total that is in six digits, for sure, and possibly seven.

Actually, I don't want to know. I'm worried that my faithful, old ticker might just give out if I learned the number.

The sheriff has an attorney (the State's Attorney) just downstairs under his second-floor office at 2200 N. Seminary Ave. in Woodstock. But the taxpayers support that attorney, who is independently elected by registered voters in McHenry County.

No comments: