Wednesday, June 8, 2011

"Credentialed Media" only - Gus, you're outa here

After reading in the Northwest Herald this morning that the McHenry County Sheriff's Department would conduct a press conference at 11:00AM, I telephoned the department about 10:15AM and was told that the 11:00AM press conference would be held in the 2nd floor conference room, within the Sheriff's Department offices.

I arrived about 10:30AM and, after sitting for a few minutes in the 2nd floor lobby, I approached the Sheriff's offices. Ah, what's that? Large signs in  the hallway and on the entrance door announced "Credentialed Media Conference" with an arrow pointing ahead.

They might as well have put up a sign that read, "Media, enter here. Gus, stay out."

The courthouse security officer didn't have a clue as to what I was asking, when I inquired where the press conference would be. Nice briefing, guys. He directed me into the Administrative Offices section, where I was told the press conference had been re-scheduled to 1:00PM. I duly registered my objection, since I had been informed not 30 minutes earlier that it would be at 11:00AM. They couldn't have cared less about any inconvenience caused by moving the conference back two hours.

A press release was mentioned; I asked for it and one of the secretaries disappeared. I didn't get it.

Then I asked what "Credentialed Media" meant, anticipating that, when I came back at 1:00PM, I'd probably not be given access to the conference room. Lt. John Miller came out to talk with me, and he explained, politely, that my blog would not qualify. He left to get a copy of the Public Information and Media Relations Policy.

"Credentialed Media" means recognized, credible, established and some other $100 words from some lawyer's office. And then he read something about "having good relations with the department." Now that got my attention. They could have simplified the Policy by just saying, "If we like you, you're in; if not, you're not. Gus, you're not."

Somebody asked me once if I just walk around, looking for battles. I don't. But I don't pass one up, if it stops in front of me and raises a fist. I've already FOIA'ed the Policy. And then we'll head into Round 2.

4 comments:

Laura said...

can't you somehow become an accredited reporter? there has got to be a way.

Gus said...

First step is to get the Policy from MCSD and then make my checklist. So far, I think at least one part of the policy is subjective and can be challenged in court, based on what Lt. Miller read to me.

Justin said...

Gus,
1) Mug a real reporter and steal the ID card

2) Get a job at the NorthWorst Herald and get your own

3) Photoshop some Press ID and play Inspector Clouseau

last but not least

4) ...roll out some dead Presidents.

Gus said...

Thanks, Snidely.

I've done #3, might try #4, will dream about #1.

About #2? Nahhh, don't think that one will fly...